Good high end PC or nah?

NateThura
Go to solution Solved by NateThura,

Thanks so much guys, I wasn't expecting so many people to reply so quickly lol. Now I get what Linus was saying about awesome community!

Hi guys, I just recently signed up for a Linus tech tips account. In fact, I've only signed up less than 5 minutes ago. So anyways, I am planning on building a new high end gaming PC and was wondering if any of you guys can give tips and recommendations of my pick of parts. I've done a lot of research but I have no practical skills as of yet.

-Intel Core i5 4690k

-Asus Direct CU3 R9 390 Strix

-Msi Z97 Gaming 3 Intel LGA1150

-Corsair builder series CXM 750W

-Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

-Samsung Internal 24X DVD writer with SATA

-NZXT Phantom 240

-Samsung 250GB SSD

-WD Blue 1TB

-HyperX Fury 8Gb DDR3

Peripherals

-Asus MG278Q 27 inch 1440p 144hz

-Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014

-Razer Deathadder Chroma

Thanks, Nate

1. I'd get a better PSU, something Seasonic or a G2 from EVGA would be great

2. Do you need a dvd writer?

3.Could get cheaper RAM.

Other than that, you did a good job

I would go with a better power supply, and possibly a smaller one in fact, but other than that it looks good

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

if ya lookin to blow so much money i'd say just wait for the pascal and polaris gpu's, depends on your current situation, you for no pc you can go for it.

Stay far far away from Asus GPU's, especially the AMD ones.

Change the psu to something from tier 1 or 2 from the link in my signature.

If you do this you'll be set for an epic experience!

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

1. change the psu

2. please get a sapphire card, they are worlds better

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Hi guys, I just recently signed up for a Linus tech tips account. In fact, I've only signed up less than 5 minutes ago. So anyways, I am planning on building a new high end gaming PC and was wondering if any of you guys can give tips and recommendations of my pick of parts. I've done a lot of research but I have no practical skills as of yet.

-Intel Core i5 4690k

-Asus Direct CU3 R9 390 Strix

-Msi Z97 Gaming 3 Intel LGA1150

-Corsair builder series CXM 750W

-Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

-Samsung Internal 24X DVD writer with SATA

-NZXT Phantom 240

-Samsung 250GB SSD

-WD Blue 1TB

-HyperX Fury 8Gb DDR3

Peripherals

-Asus MG278Q 27 inch 1440p 144hz

-Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014

-Razer Deathadder Chroma

Thanks, Nate

Don't get the get the ASUS R9 390 get the Sapphire or MSI model. Gigabyte and ASUS are bad companies to buy AMD video cards from. The power supply is bad as well.

I recommend this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

and follow your post to see who replies 

Welcome to the forum.

If you give us your budget and location, we can work out a complete build for you instead of commenting on what we don't like about your current one.

It's gotten to the point where unless you're going for the 6700k, a Skylake build is worth it over a Haswell build since prices are so similar.

The PSU you selected is more wattage than you need, but lower quality than you should have. Replace it.

The R9 390 is a great card, but Powercolor's PCS+ and Sapphire's Nitro are the best coolers available, and they're also cheaper than that version

You really don't need a DVD drive in this day and age. Hell, even Microsoft is shipping their OS on flash drives these days.

Razer makes mediocre quality components that are overpriced but look cool. Skip the flash and find stuff that will last and has better switches like Cherry switches

If you're going for a high framerate monitor, then the blur reduction from backlight strobing is probably more important than freesync. As such, I'd swap the monitor out for the BenQ XL2730Z, which happens to support both backlight strobing and freesync.

Thanks so much guys, I wasn't expecting so many people to reply so quickly lol. Now I get what Linus was saying about awesome community!