A10 8700p

Hey :)

I recently purchased a 455 G3. I knew it wasn't going to be a powerhouse and don't really need it to be. However I was hoping to be able to play CSGO at least above 30FPS which atm it seems to be struggling with. 

Due to it being limited to 15w the AMD turbo core only kicks in for about 30 seconds causing stutter when playing games. I managed to remove this by following this video.

My question is about RAM, I've read that APU's really need dual channel RAM to perform optimally. This model uses 8GB 1600mhz Single channel. Do you think upgrading to these "HyperX Impact 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L" would offer any noticeable increase on the GPU side of things? 

Thanks. 

I'd highly advise not turning off the TDP limit as that's the easiest way to end up in a thread labeled "HELP, my APU burned out in CS:GO!".

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yes, dual channel is great for APUs.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

I'd highly advise not turning off the TDP limit as that's the easiest way to end up in a thread labeled "HELP, my APU burned out in CS:GO!".

How would this happen? Looking at HWMonitor after playing CSGO all it does is keep the CPU at 1.8Ghz instead of bumping it up to 3.2 for 30 seconds. Temps never went above 65°

How would this happen? Looking at HWMonitor after playing CSGO all it does is keep the CPU at 1.8Ghz instead of bumping it up to 3.2 for 30 seconds. Temps never went above 65°

Not sure how much power the laptop is designed to be able to take. Not to mention the power brick also has a limit.

If you want to game, don't buy a work laptop like the Probook series. Go for something which has gaming in mind.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Not sure how much power the laptop is designed to be able to take. Not to mention the power brick also has a limit.

If you want to game, don't buy a work laptop like the Probook series. Go for something which has gaming in mind.

I'm not increasing the power though, just making the CPU stay at it's original clock?

I agree I didn't buy it for heavy gaming but I do enjoy abit of CSGO and I assumed (Maybe wrongly) that as my old laptop played it this would be more than capable. 

I'm not increasing the power though, just making the CPU stay at it's original clock?

I agree I didn't buy it for heavy gaming but I do enjoy abit of CSGO and I assumed (Maybe wrongly) that as my old laptop played it this would be more than capable. 

Increasing clock = higher power draw = more load on the adapter and power delivery

Increasing clock = higher power draw = more load on the adapter and power delivery

I'm not increasing the clock or altering the TDP just disabling AMD's Turbo core. 

I recently purchased a 455 G3. I knew it wasn't going to be a powerhouse and don't really need it to be. However I was hoping to be able to play CSGO at least above 30FPS which atm it seems to be struggling with. 

Due to it being limited to 15w the AMD turbo core only kicks in for about 30 seconds causing stutter when playing games. I managed to remove this by following this video.

My question is about RAM, I've read that APU's really need dual channel RAM to perform optimally. This model uses 8GB 1600mhz Single channel. Do you think upgrading to these "HyperX Impact 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L" would offer any noticeable increase on the GPU side of things? 

Thanks. 

try get faster, AND dual channel RAM..

2133-2400MHz 2x4GB would be the best option. IF your laptop supports such speeds.

try get faster, AND dual channel RAM..

2133-2400MHz 2x4GB would be the best option. IF your laptop supports such speeds.

What's the best way to check what speed it will support? 

What's the best way to check what speed it will support? 

i already checked the HP product page. 1600MHz DDR3, 16GB - that is your max.... So sorry, cannot get faster RAM. but getting dual channel, aka 2 sticks of RAM, should help

Thanks. 

it would make a difference , you are basicaly doubling your vram speed.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i already checked the HP product page. 1600MHz DDR3, 16GB - that is your max.... So sorry, cannot get faster RAM. but getting dual channel, aka 2 sticks of RAM, should help

Cheers, would you be able to link me?