Mother Board overheating?

Tenuto

Is it possible for the motherboard to overheat causing your processor to throttle back? My processor never is able to go past 50 degrees Celsius could the motherboard be the problem?

If the VRMs are overheating, that might be an action the board is taking, yes. Can you post your specs?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thanks for the quick response

Specs

Processor: A10 7870K running at stock clock.

CPU Cooler: AMD Stock FX

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ultra Durable Series FM2+ DS2H

Power Supply: EVGA 400W

Chassis: I feel this could be potentially the problem. Antec VSK3000. This case only has 1 92mm fan. hmmm.

RAM: 8GB DDR3 SSC 2400MHZ underclocked to 2133Mhz

HDD: SATA 6 WD 7200RPM 1TB

[removed]

What are the temperatures of the APU? If the airflow is insufficient, then it could be overheating. I doubt the motherboard is the issue.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Well this is the tricky part. HW Monitor and HWinfo say the temps get to 85 degrees Celsius under load. However, I heard that to accurately measure the temperatures of the APU series you need to use AMD's overdrive. In there my temps max out at 35 degrees Celsius thermal margin. Meaning 35 degrees away from throttling. Also my motherboard has software called easy tune which also shows that the temperatures max out at 50 degrees Celsius. Don't know which to believe. That's why I think it's the motherboard as it's very hot to the touch.

Thanks again

Well this is the tricky part. HW Monitor and HWinfo say the temps get to 85 degrees Celsius under load. However, I heard that to accurately measure the temperatures of the APU series you need to use AMD's overdrive. In there my temps max out at 35 degrees Celsius thermal margin. Meaning 35 degrees away from throttling. Also my motherboard has software called easy tune which also shows that the temperatures max out at 50 degrees Celsius. Don't know which to believe. That's why I think it's the motherboard as it's very hot to the touch.

Thanks again

Which part of the motherboard is hot to the touch? Have you also touched the CPU cooler?

The CPU heatpipes actually feel pretty cool. A little warm but It won't hurt my hand even for extended periods. I'm touching a small bit of plastic at the bottom of the motherboard. But it's even hotter near the top of the motherboard near the heatsink.

Try to buy little copper heatsinks and place them with thermal pads on VRMS

The CPU heatpipes actually feel pretty cool. A little warm but It won't hurt my hand even for extended periods. I'm touching a small bit of plastic at the bottom of the motherboard. But it's even hotter near the top of the motherboard near the heatsink.

Is it close to the VRM?(the area near where the "blocks" are)

Yeah it's a microATX motherboard so everything is pretty close. I can't see the VRM very well but yeah

Yeah it's a microATX motherboard so everything is pretty close. I can't see the VRM very well but yeah

I wonder if the airflow is insufficient since you have a single fan, causing the VRM to overheat - and unfortunately, it's more difficult to cool them because there's no heatsink sitting on the MOSFETs.

Is the fan exhaust or intake?

You know I don't know (sorry PC noob) but it's 1 92mm fan in the back.

You know I don't know (sorry PC noob) but it's 1 92mm fan in the back.

Is the fan label facing inside the case?

Label is facing outside the case actually.

Label is facing outside the case actually.

Then it's exhaust. Can you get a 92mm fan for the front? Since it appears it supports one.

Yeah you think that would help? Or should I get a new case with better airflow? Also hey man thanks for the help. Very fast and responsive. I just hope my motherboard is not defected.

Yeah you think that would help? Or should I get a new case with better airflow? Also hey man thanks for the help. Very fast and responsive. I just hope my motherboard is not defected.

I mean, if you can get a better case, I would do that. I just don't know what your budget is.

Also, you're welcome.