Maximus VIII Extreme vs Formula

What are the pros and cons of each of these boards. And how do they compare to each other?

Does the formula have many missing features that the extreme has or the other way around?

What are the pros and cons of each of these boards. And how do they compare to each other?

Does the formula have many missing features that the extreme has or the other way around?

Why such expensive motherboards?

And tbh I like the Maximus 8 hero extreme the best even tho it's a little bit more because it has more 3.0 pci-e slots but honestly if your not doing sli you honestly just need a Maximus 8 hero or Maximus 8 hero alpha, those motherboards are good enough unless you wanna utilize the u.2 slot on the extreme motherboard and planing to like 3 way sli or something

Formula has fewer x16 slots, but it has RGB lighting and a waterblock installed on the VRM, integrated wifi, and a plastic cover over the whole thing. Extreme has an additional x16 slot for 4-way SLI/xfire, a regular aluminum heatsink on the VRM, no wifi, it only lights up red, and the plastic cover is a bit smaller.

Formula has fewer x16 slots, but it has RGB lighting and a waterblock installed on the VRM, integrated wifi, and a plastic cover over the whole thing. Extreme has an additional x16 slot for 4-way SLI/xfire, a regular aluminum heatsink on the VRM, no wifi, it only lights up red, and the plastic cover is a bit smaller.

They actually both have wifi and the extreme has a rgb just less than the formula

They actually both have wifi and the extreme has a rgb just less than the formula

You're right it does, I didn't notice that

Question is what do you need from motherboard? Every brand have their unique features. I personalty like gigabytes offer with gold plating audio stuff and dedicated adio usb 3.0 and intel 3,1 usb and thuderbolt extension, dual ethernet ports and other cool features. 

Top end motherboards have liquid cooling and do you even need one? And 4 way sli/ crossfire?

Some have more fan slots and so on...

But you probably just want best colors...

Maximus VIII Extreme

Pros

If you are a overclocking demon, then this is the board to get.

Quad SLI support (not really recommended personally)

Cons

Pricy

Lack of ROG Armor

Maximus VII Formula

Pros

Great liquid cooling solution for motherboard

Sexy looks Changeable LED to fit varity of color schemes

ROG Armor!

Cons

Pricy

I personally enjoy the Formula series.

Tbh at this point and the price your paying, your better off buying an x99 motherboard and a 5820k because for a normal z170 motherboard this majorly overkill for a 6700k unless ur doing like custom loops and overclocking the crap out of that 6700k and if your going for 2 way sli then just buy a Maximus 8 hero, it has everything the extreme has expect the extra 4 pci-e slots and wifi card but it's so easy to put a wireless wifi usb in or a wireless network card in but if I were picking a z170 board and I was just overclocking and doing 2-3 way sli (2 way recommended)then get the extreme, if you're looking for bling and water cooling the crap out of your computer and doing a custom water loop then get the formula, both motherboards will do the trick

And for those asking why. I like the looks of each. And I'll be doing sli.

The fourth slot on the extreme is nice for other uses in the future.

Price isn't really an issue for me. Can order parts through work at a discount.

And I'd rather pay a little extra for more features that I may need than pay less and wanna test a feature later.

As for the boards. I know the formula has the built in features for water cooling.

But how do they compare to each other both air cooling?

Edit: thanks for all the input guys! You're all great. Kinda leaning towards the formula for the armor as of now. But is there any practical use for it?

And for those asking why. I like the looks of each. And I'll be doing sli.

The fourth slot on the extreme is nice for other uses in the future.

Price isn't really an issue for me. Can order parts through work at a discount.

And I'd rather pay a little extra for more features that I may need than pay less and wanna test a feature later.

As for the boards. I know the formula has the built in features for water cooling.

But how do they compare to each other both air cooling?

Edit: thanks for all the input guys! You're all great. Kinda leaning towards the formula for the armor as of now. But is there any practical use for it?

The armour is just for looks tbh and imho if you're build suck a high end board like this you should buy an all in one liquid cooler for your cpu but if you're overclocking your cpu and gpu to their max you would want to consider custom loops since you want to do sli, air cooling isnt the best if your overclocking your cpu and if you still want to do air cooling they perform both the same