Cannot boot with GPU installed

APrettyCoolWalrus
Go to solution Solved by APrettyCoolWalrus,

It shouldn't, but it's not a bad idea to make sure!

When I upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 pro I did the keep files option and it fucked up my system. I did the recovery with the keep nothing option and that fixed my issue. My problem involved my nvidia driver, although I was still able to boot and use my pc normally.

Well I figured it out, sort of. I figured out that the card is basically broken, so I am RMAing it. I hooked the GPU up to a completely different system and I had the same issues.

Oh boy what a day. I was playing CSGO and then my computer went haywire, flashing screen and whatnot. I tried rebooting and Windows 10 wouldn't boot. I then installed Windows 8.1, same story. When I take my GTX 780 out, everything is fine. Integrated Graphics allows my computer to boot up. What should I do next? I would really rather not have to get another card. 

System Specs are in the description, keep in mind that I have Windows 8.1 Pro instead of Windows 10 if that should matter at all.

My motherboard is the ASUS Z87 PRO by the way.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

RMA I guess

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Did you update your drivers? Unistall them first, then get some clean drivers in there. The OS switch may have tanked your drivers. 

What PSU do you have? I'd first of all suggest to try another PSU if possible. Maybe a different PCIE slot.

RMA I guess

ty

Did you update your drivers? Unistall them first, then get some clean drivers in there. The OS switch may have tanked your drivers. 

Well I haven't deleted any drivers but I reinstalled some drivers as soon as I got 8.1 going. I'll uninstall all Nvidia drivers.

What PSU do you have? I'd first of all suggest to try another PSU if possible. Maybe a different PCIE slot.

HX850, I have a CX 430 that I can use. Maybe the PCIE slot will work...

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Well I haven't deleted any drivers but I reinstalled some drivers as soon as I got 8.1 going. I'll uninstall all Nvidia drivers.

Yeah, even thought you reinstalled them, things like drivers should be uninstalled first. 

ty

Whenever I update the drivers I always select the clean install option, i barely ever have any issues with that

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

430W might be a bit tight and I actually suspect a card gone bad, but sometimes it's the thing you didn't expect!

Yeah, even thought you reinstalled them, things like drivers should be uninstalled first. 

Whenever I update the drivers I always select the clean install option, i barely ever have any issues with that

Keep in mind that he did a fresh install of windows before installing nvidia drivers, so there weren't any drivers left.

Keep in mind that he did a fresh install of windows before installing nvidia drivers, so there weren't any drivers left.

Well it did keep all of my old Windows 10 files, they're underneath a file names windows.old or something like that. I don't know whether the system can find those old drivers or not.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well it did keep all of my old Windows 10 files, they're underneath a file names windows.old or something like that. I don't know whether the system can find those old drivers or not.

When I upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 pro I did the keep files option and it fucked up my system. I did the recovery with the keep nothing option and that fixed my issue. My problem involved my nvidia driver, although I was still able to boot and use my pc normally.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Well I figured it out, sort of. I figured out that the card is basically broken, so I am RMAing it. I hooked the GPU up to a completely different system and I had the same issues.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler