0.5+0.5+0.5+1.5TB raid.

kajar9

As a part of my job I transfer files from laptop HDD-s to SSD-s to some customers who upgrade and it isn't rare for them to ask me to dispose of the old laptop HDD.
If an HDD is fine as in no broken sectors, I might as well use them... although I don't mind having SSD performance either.

So is it possible to pool three 0.5TB laptop hdd-s with my 1.5tb WD Green HDD?
The 0.5 will be raid0 for sure. But the 1.5TB one could be parity, redundancy etc.

Or can I extend my raid with future 0.5TB drives?... I get them a lot.
I usually tripple scramble them and sell ok drives for 15-35€ on auction sites. (With the customers written permission form. I never buy their hardware)

As a part of my job I transfer files from laptop HDD-s to SSD-s to some customers who upgrade and it isn't rare for them to ask me to dispose of the old laptop HDD.

If an HDD is fine as in no broken sectors, I might as well use them... although I don't mind having SSD performance either.

So is it possible to pool three 0.5TB laptop hdd-s with my 1.5tb WD Green HDD?

The 0.5 will be raid0 for sure. But the 1.5TB one could be parity, redundancy etc.

Or can I extend my raid with future 0.5TB drives?... I get them a lot.

I usually sell ok drives for 15-35€ on auction sites.

there is no debate. it will fail. but yes.

it can work

you can partition 3 500gb drives and then software raid them to the 1.5. but I think you will need an other drive for boot though im not sure

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just to clarify. I don't care too much for capacity... but I would like to get at least 250MB/s read/write from the 4 drive setup for non-critical data storage

With OS installed on my 256GB SSD.

Ideal would be all 4 drives in raid0 (even if virtual raid for 1.5TB drive).
But I could go with 3xraid0 0.5 drives + the 1.5TB drive for parity and redundancy.

You can't boot from a Windows raid

Of course it can. Who told you it cant?

---

To OP: you CAN yes but you really only want to RAID disks of the same size to get maximum performance. Your 1.5TB disk will only be "allowed" to use 500GB of to be place in the RAID. The other 1TB will go unused (waste of space).

Also dont ever use a Software RAID, they are just BAD! use a dedicated RAID controller (even if its only the inbuilt one).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Of course it can. Who told you it cant?

---

To OP: you CAN yes but you really only want to RAID disks of the same size to get maximum performance. Your 1.5TB disk will only be "allowed" to use 500GB of to be place in the RAID. The other 1TB will go unused (waste of space).

Also dont ever use a Software RAID, they are just BAD! use a dedicated RAID controller (even if its only the inbuilt one).

If I plan to use Windows Storage Spaces, will this work for me for the full 3TB? Isn't this one benefit of Software RAID?

If I plan to use Windows Storage Spaces, will this work for me for the full 3TB? Isn't this one benefit of Software RAID?

Yes

Yes

And if I put "simple" - will I get for at least first 500GB, near RAID0 like performance.