850 pro 256 gb on very old mobo - intel d945gcnl

kekarot
Go to solution Solved by Frankz,

I think the samsung magician software will take care of the TRIM feature for you. I assume this board is Sata2 so you'll be capped at 3Gbps(so about 350MBps)

Edit;

Q1: Yes you can install W7 Ultimate 32bit on an 850pro, just keep in mind there are some downsides to having a 32bit OS installed.

Q2: You'll be able to use AHCI if your motherboard support is, try to look for it in the BIOS Settings, should be in the Boot section.

Q3: Trim is OS-based, so on Windows 8 and above TRIM will be automaticly performed. If you have an older OS, then the Magician software will allow you to optimize the performance.

old mobo - intel d945gcnl.

i have already placed the order for the 850 pro [256 gb].

i just came to know about ide mode vs ahci mode.

i don't think that my mobo supports ahci mode. i am not sure though.

questions

firstly will i even be able to install windows 7 ultimate 32 bit on the 850 pro?

if windows can be installed, how will the performance be affected if i can't use the ahci mode?

will the 850 pro be able to use the trim feature? if not, what is the downside of not having it?

It does support AHCI as far as I can tell.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

I think the samsung magician software will take care of the TRIM feature for you. I assume this board is Sata2 so you'll be capped at 3Gbps(so about 350MBps)

Edit;

Q1: Yes you can install W7 Ultimate 32bit on an 850pro, just keep in mind there are some downsides to having a 32bit OS installed.

Q2: You'll be able to use AHCI if your motherboard support is, try to look for it in the BIOS Settings, should be in the Boot section.

Q3: Trim is OS-based, so on Windows 8 and above TRIM will be automaticly performed. If you have an older OS, then the Magician software will allow you to optimize the performance.

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Edit;

yes all 4 ports are sata revision 2.

i am concerned about ide vs ahci.

i don't mind being limited to the speed of sata revision 2.