Going from Win7 to Win10

hug0mac

hi everyone, today i been thinking to convert to windows 10... i feel as its a bit more stable and more people use it without problems and its just generally faster than 7.

i am wondering, i bought a retail copy of win7 for like 3-4 years ago, i only used the product key 3 times, all fine, but i want a fresh install of windows 10, not "update", my pc is already running windows 7 and i can upgrade for "free" so i was thinking,

can i download a clean iso of windows 10 and use the same product key? as i heard you can use same key to activate if its real and from windows 7.

any help? (: maybe tips, how about drivers and such.

thx <3

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

Download windows 10 on usb. Plug in the usb, run setup, select update and choose not to keep anything. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You should probably download the win 10 usb installer

Found a full guide of the process 

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Download windows 10 on usb. Plug in the usb, run setup, select update and choose not to keep anything. 

thats great, thanks! i wonder, can i go back to windows 7 later on if i dont like 10?  :)

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

thats great, thanks! i wonder, can i go back to windows 7 later on if i dont like 10?  :)

You can, its built-in, but i have friends that has had huge problems with it, like crashes and bsod after reverts 

Instead i would create a backup of your OS partition so that you can just overwrite it if you feel like it

If this is not an option, then i would install win 10 on a virtual machine to test it out for a while

Edit: just to clarify, i recommend that you either backup win7, or reset your computer if you want to switch back

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!