Discusssion: Planned Obsolescence in tech , A tool to advance tech or vise versa ?

Ridska

Ridska here ,

Yesterday , I watched this documentary named The Light Bulb Conspiracy and i was very intrigued about the documentary.

and i wanted to discuss this topic.

So my question(s) for every body is this : If Planned Obsolescence was not incorporated in the modern markets , How would it have an effect on tech ?  Do you think Planned Obsolescence is a good thing or a bad thing and tell me your reasoning behind it ? Do you think that we should research on how to advance Planned Obsolescence even more ?

I look forward in your answers and opinions.

Thanks and stay groovie.

(⌐■_■) 

Planned obsolescence is good for the company that's carrying it out, because the more people they can convince to buy devices and services for devices that will soon be unsupported or unusably slow, the more they will profit.

However, ti has to be done sensibly. I think that Apple is pretty brilliant with the way that they're doing planned obsolescence (apart from the iPhone 4 being unusably slow on iOS 9).

But for a case against planned obsolescence, it doesn't quite work that way with PC hardware. Think about the fact that quite a few computers from 10 years ago can still run Windows 10.

Sig under construction.

I personally think it's good thing. It provides economic sustainability. Since I do not have a background in economics, I can only deduce from my understanding of the system that by having planned obsolescence, manufacturers can ensure that they have future revenue.

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

VRAMgate

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's a double sided sword: the benefit is the advances made in tech because everyone keeps needing new devices. Downside is the environmental impact and financial cost to the end user.

Things are too big and complicated to call them just "good" or "bad"- in many cases  Planned Obsolescence is good, but in many others is bad.

And I don't mean "good for company X" (make big profits) or "bad for users"...

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

I think planned obsolescence should work like nature , When the life span at its end , rather than discarding it , we should use the left over materiel to build new things.

in short : All is waste but nothing is a waste.

(⌐■_■) 

I personally think it's good thing. It provides economic sustainability. Since I do not have a background in economics, I can only deduce from my understanding of the system that by having planned obsolescence, manufacturers can ensure that they have future revenue.

It provides economic sustainability only up until you run out of resources because planned obsolescence accelerated the rate of consumption and waste.

It is very much concerned only with the short term.

I think planned obsolescence should work like nature , When the life span at its end , rather than discarding it , we should use the left over materiel to build new things.

in short : All is waste but nothing is a waste.

So you think planned obsolescence should be recycling?

So you think planned obsolescence should be recycling?

recycling is a different thing. recycling is when you take the product and fix it by adding new versions of the broken parts and selling them as 2nd hand.

The terminology i used is to brake it down to its rawest metirial and rebuild something totally new .

Example : you have 3 to 4 pc's are no ore usable , You tear them down to its purest form and make a fridge out of it.

(⌐■_■) 

oh here is a good question ,can you add planned obsolescence to digital things and if so , How would they be implemented ? 

Would you feel ok by buying a windows version every year just because all of a sudden your screen shows a bunch of errors ?

(⌐■_■) 

I wonder what the date for the planned obsolescence for the VGA input is?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm with Stallman on this, planned obsolescence is bad. In my opinion, a product should be updated for as long as possible, and if (in the case of a phone for example) it's not fast enough to run a new os in an acceptable way the company should continue to release security patches for the older version. Personally i believe if a person is happy with what he has he should not be forced to upgrade it by artificially slowing it down or removing functionality. I expect a piece of tech to work exactly like it did on day 1 (or slightly better) until it breaks.

Bad for the industry? Not at all. Not having planned obsolescence means companies have more reasons to innovate as much as possible to justify an upgrade from a perfectly functional product - that's what nvidia and amd do for gpus, they rely on their gpus becoming constantly better and new games looking more and more beautiful.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wonder what the date for the planned obsolescence for the VGA input is?

I'm not sure it really had planned obsolescence, but it's pretty much already obsolete.

Sig under construction.

I'm not sure it really had planned obsolescence, but it's pretty much already obsolete.

Yeah, I agree but try telling that to all the schools and businesses that only have VGA monitors...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

recycling is a different thing. recycling is when you take the product and fix it by adding new versions of the broken parts and selling them as 2nd hand.

The terminology i used is to brake it down to its rawest metirial and rebuild something totally new .

Example : you have 3 to 4 pc's are no ore usable , You tear them down to its purest form and make a fridge out of it.

Recycling can mean many things and most of the time it means reclaiming the raw materials from an product at the end of it's life, not repairing it and reselling it.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz