Telstra Internet High Ping

Need help with Telstra internet.

I am using the stock TG582n modem/router supplied by Telstra and am wired directly with ethernet cable. Starting a few days ago my ping in CS:GO has been fluctuating between 100 and up to 800, when i wait a while and sometimes restart the router it can drop back to 30-50 but after a few minutes becomes unplayable again. My ping constantly stayed around 30-50 before but now everything become unplayable after a while. The router was very hot so I put a fan on it to cool it down (running 24/7), this has stopped it from overheating but hasn't helped ping much. When the ping is high in game google chrome also takes ages to load so it isn't a problem with the game's servers. Where I live the internet isn't great but it has never been this bad. Other PCs on my network also suffer the same problem and the ping fluctuates simultaneously on all PCs. My friends who use the same internet with a different modem don't have this problem so I am assuming it is a problem with the modem. I would really appreciate any help as I have been trying to find a solution for days. If you need any further information just ask.

I live in NSW Australia

System Specs:

Mobo - MSI B85-G43 gaming

CPU - Intel Pentium g3254 @ 4.2Ghz

GPU - MSI R9 270x 2gb gaming

RAM - 2x 4gb G.Skill Sniper (dual channel)

PSU - Silverstone Strider Essential

Storage - Salvaged HDDs

OS - Windows 10 pro

What's the connection type and how far are you from the exchange if you're on DSL?

Other than restarting the modem and letting it sit for a little while there isn't much you can do.

Another (and more likely) possibility is that your local exchange is having trouble keeping up with traffic.

We're having all the problems down here due to the constant changes in ambient temps. Last Wednesday is was 40+ all day then the next day it dropped to a top of 18 and man, the servers had all kinds of problems.

-アパゾ

Need help with Telstra internet.

I am using the stock TG582n modem/router supplied by Telstra and am wired directly with ethernet cable. Starting a few days ago my ping in CS:GO has been fluctuating between 100 and up to 800, when i wait a while and sometimes restart the router it can drop back to 30-50 but after a few minutes becomes unplayable again. My ping constantly stayed around 30-50 before but now everything become unplayable after a while. The router was very hot so I put a fan on it to cool it down (running 24/7), this has stopped it from overheating but hasn't helped ping much. When the ping is high in game google chrome also takes ages to load so it isn't a problem with the game's servers. Where I live the internet isn't great but it has never been this bad. Other PCs on my network also suffer the same problem and the ping fluctuates simultaneously on all PCs. My friends who use the same internet with a different modem don't have this problem so I am assuming it is a problem with the modem. I would really appreciate any help as I have been trying to find a solution for days. If you need any further information just ask.

I live in NSW Australia

System Specs:

Mobo - MSI B85-G43 gaming

CPU - Intel Pentium g3254 @ 4.2Ghz

GPU - MSI R9 270x 2gb gaming

RAM - 2x 4gb G.Skill Sniper (dual channel)

PSU - Silverstone Strider Essential

Storage - Salvaged HDDs

OS - Windows 10 pro

Get one of those friends to bring their modem over (not for long, just to test it all out for comparisons sake)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I am 150km from nearest exchange but not sure how to check if I am on DSL

Just found another TG582n sitting in the shed, apparently there were problems with it so it was thrown out. I will plug that in and see if it makes a difference (if it even works)

I am 150km from nearest exchange but not sure how to check if I am on DSL

Well are you on ADSL, VDSL, cable, NBN fiber or NBN wireless?

Just separate components for each next time, a switch, modem, router

I think I might have fixed the problem. I managed to get the other router working but it suffered from the same high ping issue. Since I now have 2 I decided plug one in, play until my ping went up, then unplug it and check what components on the PCB got the hottest (though the problem could have been caused by overheating since the router once got hot enough to soften and warp its plastic housing). There was one component in particular (Broadcom BCM63281KFBG) which was excessively hot. It happened to be the right size to fit a spare heatsink I had lying around which I then attached to the component with some rubber bands and thermal paste. I haven't had any problems with my ping since I made this mod about 5 hours ago (ping used to get to unplayable levels in 10 min). This might be coincidence and the problem could have been something else but the results so far look promising.