old pc like new

wildblaze

im not sure where to post this but, my moms computer is a decade old, and i cant aford to build her a new one, or buy her a new one, is there any software, or a way i can off load some of my processing power too her computer, like set it up to where my computer does all the heavy lifting while it just displays on her machine? kinda like nvidia shield, but without games and with everyday tasks. 

remote desktop? but i don't think you'd be able to use it at the same time.

Nothing currently commercially available I'm afraid. You can buy a cheap $300 machine that will probably be a significant improvement

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Nothing currently commercially available I'm afraid. You can buy a cheap $300 machine that will probably be a significant improvement

What he said. ^

Also, if it's just for everyday task laptop's are also great options. But if you really can't afford a laptop or a $300 machine. Maybe you should look into tablets. Nexus 7 is a great option.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Whack an SSD in it (only joking, that'd be a waste of money)

BTW what specs does that old fossle of a computer have anyway?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Whack an SSD in it (only joking, that'd be a waste of money)

BTW what specs does that old fossle of a computer have anyway?

Yeah, give us something to chew in.

You can do quite a few things to speed up an old work horse.. I've done it several times with old desktop pc's. But it much depends on the specs of the pc.

But as a first tip. Backup documents, pictures and whatever whack you/your mom need to save. Then format and reinstall windows, it's the very first thing you wonna do.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Maybe another good tip is once you have the OS, your programs installed and files back on create a windows system image and back that up to an external HDD. Then when you feel the computer's becoming slow again or you'll have to do is restore the PC to the system image you created which, in turn, reduces a whole lot of work that you'll gave to do next time.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

haha you guys ready for the fossil, its got a Pentium 4, 2.8g, 2g of ram, 512meg nvidia card, i forgot the name, its from 2003 i think 

haha you guys ready for the fossil, its got a Pentium 4, 2.8g, 2g of ram, 512meg nvidia card, i forgot the name, its from 2003 i think 

Move to linux, seriously, you aren't going to be gaming on that machine, so theres no reason not to, 

I have a P4 2.8GHz just like yours with 2.5GB RAM, and an AMD video card, the PC still boots in ~20-30 seconds and I don't see any slowdown.

Your best option is probably just plain old ubuntu for ease of use, or you could try mint.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

na, cant do linux my mom and her BF play facebook games and stuff, i really dont want to constantly be in there fixing the flash or other things.