Bent ( slightly inwards ) hard drive top cover , ways to raise up again ?

mitsosvazelos84

Hey guys ,

I did a mod that included using double sided adhesive tape on the top , centre part of the hard drive's metal cover . Used a fair amount of pressure to make the tape stick and since then there is a sound coming of the hdd ( high pitched rattling ) when its on . The cover is bent inwards enough to interfere with the rotor/motor .

Any way to pull the cover to its original height ? An image won't be useful cause the bend is not visible enough .

thank you in advance

That's not good....

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Use a magnet to pull it back up.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Hey guys ,

I did a mod that included using double sided adhesive tape on the top , centre part of the hard drive's metal cover . Used a fair amount of pressure to make the tape stick and since then there is a sound coming of the hdd ( high pitched rattling ) when its on . The cover is bent inwards enough to interfere with the rotor/motor .

Any way to pull the cover to its original height ? An image won't be useful cause the bend is not visible enough .

thank you in advance

Not really. I'd pretty much consider it dead at that point. You can't really remove the cover without a clean room, unless you want to destroy the drive.

The only 'ghetto' method I'd "recommend" is a good suction cup and pulling it outwards, but in reality I'd recommend backing up the contents of the drive and replacing it.

Would that work on a hard drive ? I don't think they react good to magnets .

Not really. I'd pretty much consider it dead at that point. You can't really remove the cover without a clean room, unless you want to destroy the drive.

The only 'ghetto' method I'd "recommend" is a good suction cup and pulling it outwards, but in reality I'd recommend backing up the contents of the drive and replacing it.

What does suction cap mean ? And btw the damage is not that great , benchmarks show no decrease in read / writes , although that might be irrelevant . The sound is far from what a duying hdd produces . Its like an old crt tv "irradiation" background noise

Would that work on a hard drive ? I don't think they react good to magnets .

Magnets break hard drives  :D

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

What does suction cap mean ? And btw the damage is not that great , benchmarks show no decrease in read / writes , although that might be irrelevant . The sound is far from what a duying hdd produces . Its like an old crt tv "irradiation" background noise

Something like this: https://gtac80design.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/dp-scamper-suction-cup-001.jpg

You're gonna need a stronger one if you want to try. And a method of holding a HDD in place. In fact, I'm not lying when I say it's a 'ghetto' fix. You might as well screw up the HDD completely if you overdo it. 

Whether you'll use the drive or replace it is up to you. I wouldn't risk using a damaged drive for any data, but that's just me. 

Something like this: https://gtac80design.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/dp-scamper-suction-cup-001.jpg

You're gonna need a stronger one if you want to try. And a method of holding a HDD in place. In fact, I'm not lying when I say it's a 'ghetto' fix. You might as well screw up the HDD completely if you overdo it.

Whether you'll use the drive or replace it is up to you. I wouldn't risk using a damaged drive for any data, but that's just me.

So I suppose that it works with a pump ? It's like an octopus -round thing- on their -legs right ? It creates a vacuum i think

This. If the drive is currently working but beginning to make this noise, I'd clone it YESTERDAY and move on.

FWIW, that metal is pretty sturdy and would be very hard to pull out with a suction cup IMO.  You must have really leaned on it.

This. If the drive is currently working but beginning to make this noise, I'd clone it YESTERDAY and move on.

FWIW, that metal is pretty sturdy and would be very hard to pull out with a suction cup IMO.  You must have really leaned on it.

I'd guess that an industrial grade suction cup (think about the ones used for installing windows in skyscrapers or for replacing iMac screens :P ) would do the trick, but it might as well destroy the drive if you pull too hard. :P

Well I have no money to spend for hard drives now , guess ill backup pictures etc and watch it die :'(

Oh come on this isn't /b