how to change the pc name on a network?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

you have confirmed, after rebooting the computer, that it's own name has changed?

your router's table of IPv4 addresses most likely only learns the names of hosts that request an IP address from it. In the DHCP request, devices include their hostname. SInce your device is now static, it never needs to send a DHCP request to the router. The router is most likely learning the IP address to display in that table just by listening to the ARP and other packets on the network.

Pretty much this - the router has no need to learn the name as it's a static lease. Some routers support assigning a name manually and some don't.

hello!

i have changed the my pc's ipv4 address to static after changing it to static the active client table in my router shows my pc as unknown-pc with the same static ipv4 address i have saved!

i thought after rebooting my rounter and my pc the table will show my pc's name instead of the name 'unknown-pc' but it didn't!, it remained as unknown-PC
i also tried changing my pc's name to check if the name changes on my network but this also didn't work!

this problem happens only when i change the ip address to static!
as i am running a server so i don't want it to change its internal ip address time to time!

but for easy identification , i want to change its name from unknown-pc to something else!

any idea? what is the problem and how it can be fixed?

My Build:
 CPU - i7-4790k @ 4.7ghz (overclocked) at 1.328v
 Ram - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (overclocked)
 Motherboard - Asus Republic Of Gamers (ROG) Maximus VII Hero
 Cpu Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX Liquid cooler, Noctua NH-D15 Air cooler
 Case - Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5
 PSU - Corsair Rm1000 Gold Certified
 SSD - Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD
 HDD - 1x WD Black 4TB/256mb cache, 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
 GPU - Zotac Gtx 1080Ti Amp! Extreme! edition
 Keyboard - HyperX Alloy mechanical_Cherry-MX RED (main) , Asus Cerberus (secondary)
 Mouse - Logitech G403 Prodigy (Main) , Razer Deathadder 2013(secondary), Logitech m235 wireless mouse (secondary)
 Mouse pad - Razer Gigantus (Main) CM-Storm Swift-RX (secondary), Steelseries Qck (secondary)
 Mic - Blue Snowball ICE
 Headphones - HyperX Cloud Core
 Monitor - Acer Predator XB271HU 2560x1440 144hz Gsync (Main), Dell S2216H 1920x1080 60hz (secondary)

hello!

i have changed the my pc's ipv4 address to static after changing it to static the active client table in my router shows my pc as unknown-pc with the same static ipv4 address i have saved!

i thought after rebooting my rounter and my pc the table will show my pc's name instead of the name 'unknown-pc' but it didn't!, it remained as unknown-PC

i also tried changing my pc's name to check if the name changes on my network but this also didn't work!

this problem happens only when i change the ip address to static!

as i am running a server so i don't want it to change its internal ip address time to time!

but for easy identification , i want to change its name from unknown-pc to something else!

any idea? what is the problem and how it can be fixed?

Are you in Windows? Just changing the computer name should change it's name visible on the LAN.

Right click My Computer/This PC, then properties, then 'Change settings', then 'Change' where it mentions renaming the PC.

Note: it needs a reboot for the change to come into effect

Almost as cool as my temps  

Are you in Windows? Just changing the computer name should change it's name visible on the LAN.

Right click My Computer/This PC, then properties, then 'Change settings', then 'Change' where it mentions renaming the PC.

Note: it needs a reboot for the change to come into effect

tried that but it didn't work!

My Build:
 Keyboard - HyperX Alloy mechanical_Cherry-MX RED (main) , Asus Cerberus (secondary)
 Mouse - Logitech G403 Prodigy (Main) , Razer Deathadder 2013(secondary), Logitech m235 wireless mouse (secondary)
 Mouse pad - Razer Gigantus (Main) CM-Storm Swift-RX (secondary), Steelseries Qck (secondary)
 Mic - Blue Snowball ICE
 Monitor - Acer Predator XB271HU 2560x1440 144hz Gsync (Main), Dell S2216H 1920x1080 60hz (secondary)

tried that but it didn't work!

you have confirmed, after rebooting the computer, that it's own name has changed?

your router's table of IPv4 addresses most likely only learns the names of hosts that request an IP address from it. In the DHCP request, devices include their hostname. SInce your device is now static, it never needs to send a DHCP request to the router. The router is most likely learning the IP address to display in that table just by listening to the ARP and other packets on the network.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

"how to change the pc name on a network"

Google it... It's not hard. You even had it in your title. I dont understand why people cant just do the research themselves.

My native language is C++

Chill out Kyle,

Maybe not everyone in the world is as good of a keyboard jockey as you hence why they ask questions.

But as for Sanchit_technogeek,

The name of the computer is the name which is displayed on the network.

It is changed under system properties and requires a restart (as prompted). If the display name is still not updating on the network then it may be a completely different issue all together

118320.image1.jpg

Chill out Kyle,

Maybe not everyone in the world is as good of a keyboard jockey as you hence why they ask questions.

But as for Sanchit_technogeek,

The name of the computer is the name which is displayed on the network.

It is changed under system properties and requires a restart (as prompted). If the display name is still not updating on the network then it may be a completely different issue all together

118320.image1.jpg

i tried this many times but the name is not updating after having the pc rebooted 5-6 times!

plus i have asked this question here after getting sick of being searching google for this!

My Build:
 Mic - Blue Snowball ICE

Pretty much this - the router has no need to learn the name as it's a static lease. Some routers support assigning a name manually and some don't.