3D Printer Host PC, How can I make it more reliable?

So I am going to setup a dedicated rig to act as the host for my 3D printer. Its an overbuilt core2duo machine, still rockin' on after years and years in a school's CAD lab. HP WX4600 for those interested.

How can I decrease the chance of a PC crash or some other nonsense while printing? Would two HDDs in RAID 1 be of any gain? It hardly ever uses the HDD... This is really all I can think of other than to fucking disable automatic windows updates...

So I am going to setup a dedicated rig to act as the host for my 3D printer. Its an overbuilt core2duo machine, still rockin' on after years and years in a school's CAD lab. HP WX4600 for those interested.

How can I decrease the chance of a PC crash or some other nonsense while printing? Would two HDDs in RAID 1 be of any gain? It hardly ever uses the HDD... This is really all I can think of other than to fucking disable automatic windows updates...

Reinstall windows and get a 120Gb ssd.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

that would cost infinitely more than I paid for the rest of the PC. Also I just instslled windows 10 yesterday.

How much you pay? Get a cheap intel 300 SSD off ebay for 20$ 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I got 10 of these machines for free. So...

Well. Used the HDDS and pray they hold out. And why do you need a host machine? Most printers you click print and it will just go without a PC>

Well. Used the HDDS and pray they hold out. And why do you need a host machine? Most printers you click print and it will just go without a PC>

Mine has no smart controller. I could buy one, but they cost money

Mine has no smart controller. I could buy one, but they cost money

What printer do you have?

Awesome! How much did it cost? And I would get a smart controller. I have messed around with some printers but they all sucked. Iwas looking and /building one. How is the print quality? gettting

Awesome! How much did it cost? And I would get a smart controller. I have messed around with some printers but they all sucked. Iwas looking and /building one. How is the print quality? gettting

Well, I just printed this in ABS without a heated bed or enclosure:

post-128204-0-07029300-1453169776_thumb.

Well, I just printed this in ABS without a heated bed or enclosure:

attachicon.gif14531697549141350972877.jpg

Thats amazing. Is it cheap or did you spend 400+ USD or like 100?

A pc that doesn't crash?

Well for starters make sure all parts are compatible, or at least Ram and motherboard.

A good psu will help on the long run.

Clean install of your OS.

Don't overclock.

Se if the parts are good, do some testing.

No need to raid.

Are you going to design stuff on said pc or only 3D print?

That's about it..