MSI vs Asus for X99 motherboard

Ok so I have been considering MSI motherboards as I have always used there board on the intel side anyway but someone pointed out the extra pins on the Asus boards are actually quite helpful so what do you guys think would be the better choice MSI or Asus. I have had Asus boards before but they were AMD socket boards.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

The pins really arent that helpful

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Oh someone said it makes overclocks much more stable.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

MSi has feature overs asus, asus has a better bios. The pins don't do much at all. 

No. It just makes overclocking the cache past ~4.0GHz possible. Does nothing for core clock stability unless you're doing DICE/LN2, even that hasn't been proven AFAIK.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

More of a gimmick

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

more pins means more power for the cpu which means more overclock

Ok so I have been considering MSI motherboards as I have always used there board on the intel side anyway but someone pointed out the extra pins on the Asus boards are actually quite helpful so what do you guys think would be the better choice MSI or Asus. I have had Asus boards before but they were AMD socket boards.

i do prefer msi either, i have one of their x99 and it's just amazing, can't ask for anything more (except for that mystic light which is only available on the godlike series).

More of a gimmick

No, and no.

http://us.hardware.info/news/41513/benefit-of-oc-socket-on-asus-x99-motherboards-proven

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

As a side note, the OC socket will only be useful to the most die hard overclockers out there, but that's precisely the crowd that ASUS is targeting with this feature.

i do prefer msi either, i have one of their x99 and it's just amazing, can't ask for anything more (except for that mystic light which is only available on the godlike series).

I like MSI and generally try to avoid Asus due to their bad customer support when one of their products go bad unlike MSI that get issues sorted straight away. I was looking at the Godlike or the Gaming 9 but I don't think I would use the Game Stream feature on the Gaming 9 the godlike has more features that I would actually use.

Custom PC:

Why make another thread asking the same questions?

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

Why make another thread asking the same questions?

No the last time I asked it was about the MSI godlike socket which I was told is totally different to Asus's OC socket and apparently the MSI one doesn't do anything and the pins are there for no reason or something like that.

Custom PC:

I like MSI and generally try to avoid Asus due to their bad customer support when one of their products go bad unlike MSI that get issues sorted straight away. I was looking at the Godlike or the Gaming 9 but I don't think I would use the Game Stream feature on the Gaming 9 the godlike has more features that I would actually use.

that's one of the reasons i want to upgrade, i don't use that streaming engine at all, but it was their final product when i bought it. the godlike can handle more O.C, higher ram frequency support.

wow, i didn't see that. but as i think the msi godlike also has that feature

that's one of the reasons i want to upgrade, i don't use that streaming engine at all, but it was their final product when i bought it. the godlike can handle more O.C, higher ram frequency support.

wow, i didn't see that. but as i think the msi godlike also has that feature

i think they call it LGA2036, and btw it's included with the x99s G9ACK/GodLike/XpowerAC

"As a side note, the OC socket will only be useful to the most die hard overclockers out there, but that's precisely the crowd that ASUS is targeting with this feature."

So pretty pointless.

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

i think they call it LGA2036, and btw it's included with the x99s G9ACK/GodLike/XpowerAC

I use to have the Xpower but the bios chip went faulty however i'm not sure what caused it, my watercooling loop did leak but the motherboard was completely dry the only part that actually got wet was my Titan X which got drenched with water as it was below my CPU block which leaked and has now been recalled but the GPU works fine but I thank the EK backplate for that otherwise I think it could have killed my card.

Custom PC:

I use to have the Xpower but the bios chip went faulty however i'm not sure what caused it, my watercooling loop did leak but the motherboard was completely dry the only part that actually got wet was my Titan X which got drenched with water as it was below my CPU block which leaked and has now been recalled but the GPU works fine but I thank the EK backplate for that otherwise I think it could have killed my card.

you were lucky the pc didn't blow up. watercooling is a bit dangerous you must make sure everything is well tightened. so you're thinking about the godlike then ?

you were lucky the pc didn't blow up. watercooling is a bit dangerous you must make sure everything is well tightened. so you're thinking about the godlike then ?

Yeah looks like a nice board I really like the look of the new version of it but it doesn't come out till the end of Feb and I need a new board now really. The leak was caused by a faulty O-ring inside the block that EK are aware of so they asked me to return it to them but I am still waiting for the replacement. post-179175-0-75886500-1453156020_thumb.

Custom PC:

I just had to make this decision yesterday, choosing between an Asus X99A vs MSI x99A Gaming 7.

Main reason I chose MSI was previous bad experience with Asus customer support, although it was awhile ago and not for motherboard (was for a blu-ray drive).

Yeah looks like a nice board I really like the look of the new version of it but it doesn't come out till the end of Feb and I need a new board now really. The leak was caused by a faulty O-ring inside the block that EK are aware of so they asked me to return it to them but I am still waiting for the replacement. attachicon.gifgodlikeCarbon_light_new01.png

you can go with the old godlike, there is no big difference (except that the new one is so sexxxxy). but if you can wait it would be better.

I just had to make this decision yesterday, choosing between an Asus X99A vs MSI x99A Gaming 7.

Main reason I chose MSI was previous bad experience with Asus customer support, although it was awhile ago and not for motherboard (was for a blu-ray drive).

Yeah their customer service still sucks last year I bought the Asus MG279Q and it had terrible backlight bleed and also a lot of dead pixels Asus couldn't care less so I had to jump through hoops to get the retailer to take it back I must say the designs of their monitors are nicer than Acer which is what I have now but Acer wins for best stand the monitor doesn't wobble at all compared to Asus monitors.

Custom PC:

you can go with the old godlike, there is no big difference (except that the new one is so sexxxxy). but if you can wait it would be better.

Yeah the new one is what the old one should have been. If I knew what the new one was going to cost I might have been able to wait but the old godlike is pushing it for price and I expect this new one to be a bit more expensive.

Custom PC:

Yeah the new one is what the old one should have been. If I knew what the new one was going to cost I might have been able to wait but the old godlike is pushing it for price and I expect this new one to be a bit more expensive.

i'm not sure but if it's all about color then it's not a big deal. i'll search for it a bit !

i did find the difference. it's only about color and:

the old one has Audio boost 3 RPO  http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING.html#hero-overview

the new one has Audio boost 3 PRO  http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING-CARBON.html#hero-overview

Aren't the audio chip exactly the same?

Custom PC: