Nexus 7 FHD (2013) Review

Ghost

Hey, this will be my review of the new Nexus 7 FHD. This review will mostly be what it feels like from my perspective, for more cool pics or a professional review you can just Google it. ;)

Packaging - Google

I usually wouldn't include this section, however, I have to say I was very disappointed with Google's (shipping) packaging. I really expected it to be shipped with at least one layer of "airbags" on all sides, I mean it's a delicate piece of electronics right? Well, no, it came in a box with the actual product box slotted in the corner of the box and it was stuffed with an "insufficient" amount of brown paper which was there to stop it flying around the box. I really wasn't expecting to open the parcel to find the Nexus 7 inside, I expected a box with "Google" branding on it, not a battered cardboard box with tape on it's corners. (The actual product box is fine, just the shipping parcel).

Well what I'm saying by this is just buy it at a local store or from Amazon. Don't order directly from Google, at least in the UK. It's usually the same price and you will get better service. It got sent by Parcel Force if anyone is interested.

The Tablet

I have to say, it looks tiny because of how long it is, it makes the screen look small and the bezel looks massive, so I wasn't that happy with the initial look of the front of the device. The back of the tablet, looks amazing. It has a rubbery feel that means the tablet isn't going to slip anywhere any time soon.

As soon as I switched the tablet on I was thrown back by the resolution of the screen, and how bright the colours were. I think this is the one area in which the tablet stands out, right away. After using the tablet for some time the design started to makes sense. In portrait mode it is made to be held with one hand from the back supporting it. What's great is that my hand can actually reach around the whole tablet while holding it in that position so its both secure and comfortable. It leaves your other hand free for tablet related activities.

In landscape mode the extended bezels really make sense. you can hold it with both hands and type and do things with your thumbs; if you need to be more accurate you can still comfortably hold the tablet with one hand and move your other hand around.

I really don't have much to say about the software itself. It's android and it's well optimised for the tablet. If you don't know what that feels like then where have you been for the past # years, seriously. Performance-wise it doesn't lag and I don't ever expect it to, I couldn't have expected more. It can play "Magic Fluids" in the "Gift from the Aliens" setting smoothly. That's my benchmark as my 2 year old phone can barely run the app 6 settings below and that's at a lower res.

Conclusion

The design of the tablet looks strange at first glance but really makes sense. It feels comfortable to hold and because there is only one way to hold it for each orientation you don't constantly adjust your grip on the tablet. Which to me is what matters a lot after owning an Asus Transformer, which was heavy and uncomfortable to hold. If you need a 7" Android tablet are are in doubt, then get this, you won't be disappointed.

ASUS_Nexus_7_997060.jpg

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

What does the FHD mean?

Ordered my dad http://www.very.co.uk/asus-new-nexus-7-quad-core-2gb-32gb-wifi-7-inch-touchscreen-tablet-black/1296067147.prd?_requestid=118623

For his 50th birthday because he wanted a new tablet.

Is this the same one as you have? just the 32gb version?

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

What does the FHD mean?

Ordered my dad http://www.very.co.uk/asus-new-nexus-7-quad-core-2gb-32gb-wifi-7-inch-touchscreen-tablet-black/1296067147.prd?_requestid=118623

For his 50th birthday because he wanted a new tablet.

Is this the same one as you have? just the 32gb version?

Full High Definition - 1080p

I have the 16gb as this will mostly be used for streaming my PC screen

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

didnt expect shit packaging from google. 

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Full High Definition - 1080p

I have the 16gb as this will mostly be used for streaming my PC screen

Ah ok :P

Sounds like its a decent enough tablet.

Isn't it supposed to come in a box like this:

329642-unboxed.jpg

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Isn't it supposed to come in a box like this:

329642-unboxed.jpg

was going to say the same thing a friend of mine ordered it from google and got that box in the UK

Man, that looks nice!

I bet the Nexus 5 is going to look nice as well.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

4ipu2.jpg    4ipxV.jpg

Oh right lol it did come in that box but the box that box was in wasn't padded correctly etc.

I missread :D

Oh right lol it did come in that box but the box that box was in wasn't padded correctly etc.

I missread :D

I was unclear, edited to made it clear now. ;)

didnt expect shit packaging from google. 

Better than a crappy device.  :P It just gets recycled afterward anyway.