PC went off couple of times in a row

Held657
Go to solution Solved by Held657,

Very late Update (sorry):

So it wasn't any part of my PC, it was actually the switch of the power strip which was broken. Thanks for your help anyway!

So, that was weird.

I started my computer and everything worked fine. While watching some YouTube-Videos it started making some weird noises for about 2 secs (sounded a bit like something scratching or maybe hardcore coilwhining, but it's hard to describe) and then I heard the familiar click of the power supply that i hear every time after I power down my PC and the PC went off. After a few secs the computer started itself but while loading windows it happened again. The next minutes it happened over and over again about 10 times I think, one time while loading windows the rest of the times on the desktop.

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. First I thought it was the pump, but it seems to be running just fine. Then I thought maybe it's the HDD and used the Windows check-up which told me everything is fine (same for the SSD).

So my knockledge ends here. I'm guessing now it's something electrical, but weirdly the PC seems to be running perfectly fine now. Did one of my capacitors die?

Specs are in my signature, and I just did a shallow clean of dust two weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Greets

Held657

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

So, that was weird.

I started my computer and everything worked fine. While watching some YouTube-Videos it started making some weird noises for about 2 secs (sounded a bit like something scratching or maybe hardcore coilwhining, but it's hard to describe) and then I heard the familiar click of the power supply that i hear every time after I power down my PC and the PC went off. After a few secs the computer started itself but while loading windows it happened again. The next minutes it happened over and over again about 10 times I think, one time while loading windows the rest of the times on the desktop.

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. First I thought it was the pump, but it seems to be running just fine. Then I thought maybe it's the HDD and used the Windows check-up which told me everything is fine (same for the SSD).

So my knockledge ends here. I'm guessing now it's something electrical, but weirdly the PC seems to be running perfectly fine now. Did one of my capacitors die?

Specs are in my signature, and I just did a shallow clean of dust two weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Greets

Held657

Thermal Throttle? or maybe psu failing or something?

Thermal Throttle? or maybe psu failing or something?

Themal throttle I'd say no as far as I can see. All temps are normal. PSU is my current guess, too. Is there any way to check that?

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

I am 99% sure its your Power Supply! I have an almost identical problem, but it went on for weeks getting worse each time! I went through testing each piece of hardware till I got to the Power Supply. As soon as I changed it, problem solved. I went and used the bad Power Supply on a different rig and the problems started up there!
So my bet is on the Power Supply!

Themal throttle I'd say no as far as I can see. All temps are normal. PSU is my current guess, too. Is there any way to check that?

Hmm have you got one of them voltage test thingys? see if your psu is actually giving enough power out or a capacitor committed suicide :/

I am 99% sure its your Power Supply! I have an almost identical problem, but it went on for weeks getting worse each time! I went through testing each piece of hardware till I got to the Power Supply. As soon as I changed it, problem solved. I went and used the bad Power Supply on a different rig and the problems started up there!

So my bet is on the Power Supply!

Okay I'll wait if it happens again and then try to switch the PSU.

Hmm have you got one of them voltage test thingys? see if your psu is actually giving enough power out or a capacitor committed suicide :/

I'm afraid I don't have one. Also got no idea of electrics at all  :wacko: .

does it get hot?

Not even a bit  :unsure:

Not even a bit  :unsure:

maybe try and open it up and see if a capacitor burnt? make sure you are grounded first! and of course be careful. if something is burnt/damaged then it might be dieing ;-;

maybe try and open it up and see if a capacitor burnt? make sure you are grounded first! and of course be careful. if something is burnt/damaged then it might be dieing ;-;

I'd rather not open it because I still have manufacturer warranty  :ph34r:

I'd rather not open it because I still have manufacturer warranty  :ph34r:

Oh yeah didn’t think about that, wait you have a warranty? get a replacement and say it malfunctioned?

Oh yeah didn’t think about that, wait you have a warranty? get a replacement and say it malfunctioned?

Tue. I just would have liked to make sure it's the PSU before I do that. Thanks for your help!

Tue. I just would have liked to make sure it's the PSU before I do that. Thanks for your help!

im %99.99 sure its the psu :3

• 5 months later...

Very late Update (sorry):

So it wasn't any part of my PC, it was actually the switch of the power strip which was broken. Thanks for your help anyway!