Fresh Windows 10 Install Questions

PerForm
Go to solution Solved by Bubblez,

4. Skip activation, I have my key should is still skip?

I know X99stattrak has told you otherwise... but I wouldn't skip the key part. from my understanding and albiet limited experience updating windows 10 on a few computers now, they always accept the windows 7 or 8.1 keys when prompted for the windows 10 key. 

My recommendation, put your key in when asked, and if it doesn't work (highly unlikely) then just skip the key and come back here for help.

Edit** also, if possible, make sure you have access to another computer, tablet, or phone that can access the web. Should you run into any problems lots of great people here can help you out. I don't recommend calling Microsoft, they are pretty useless, and sometimes hard to understand the people because Microsofts call centers for Tech support are in the Philippines and in India.

Hello All.

I have never had a SSD on my rig before.  My Samsung 256GB 850 Pro will be here next week.  I am planning on doing a fresh install onto the SSD, then wipe my nearly full 1TB WD to factory default (anything I need on it is in cloud storage).  Also, I never made the jump to Window 10 on my personal PC so I would like to do this at the same time.

1.)  What is best practices for the fresh install and data removal of old hard drive?

2.)  Do  I need to install Win 7 64 then do the Windows 10 upgrade or can I skip the Win 7 Install and go directly to 10?

Thanks In advance for the help

I've done a full format of my SSD once and installed Windows 10 on it without any problems so you shouldn't have any problems either. 

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Hello All.

I have never had a SSD on my rig before.  My Samsung 256GB 850 Pro will be here next week.  I am planning on doing a fresh install onto the SSD, then wipe my nearly full 1TB WD to factory default (anything I need on it is in cloud storage).  Also, I never made the jump to Window 10 on my personal PC so I would like to do this at the same time.

1.)  What is best practices for the fresh install and data removal of old hard drive?

2.)  Do  I need to install Win 7 64 then do the Windows 10 upgrade or can I skip the Win 7 Install and go directly to 10?

Thanks In advance for the help

Hi PerForm. I just did a clean install of windows 10 myself last week. when prompted for the windows 10 product key on install, I inputted my windows 8.1 product key and it was accepted.

Try installing windows 10 and using your windows 7 product key. If that fails, you can always install windows 7 and then upgrade, but I am pretty sure that the windows 10 install will accept your Win7 Product Key.

Hope this helps you.

When you install your window 10 onto your SSD it is best to unplugged your HHD and plug it back in after window finished install. This allow you to later clone your SSD without window fucking up due the fact it will still write data to other drives. 

Magical Pineapples

When you install your window 10 onto your SSD it is best to unplugged your HHD and plug it back in after window finished install. This allow you to later clone your SSD without window fucking up due the fact it will still write data to other drives. 

Yep, MrUnknown makes a good point that I forgot to mention... 

Use the windows media creator (go to the Windows 10 upgrade site, and it'll have a link for people that want to do multiple computers. Make a bootable usb, and fresh install on your ssd. You can skip the activating part, because Windows already has your hardware known and will activate on its own

Use the windows media creator (go to the Windows 10 upgrade site, and it'll have a link for people that want to do multiple computers. Make a bootable usb, and fresh install on your ssd. You can skip the activating part, because Windows already has your hardware known and will activate on its own

Downloading win 10 to bootable USB now.  Just double checking here.

1. unplug sata from HDD

2. install SSD

3. Fresh install on SSD

5. Format HDD for dumping ground storage.

Downloading win 10 to bootable USB now. Just double checking here.

1. unplug sata from HDD

2. install SSD

3. Fresh install on SSD

5. Format HDD for dumping ground storage.

Were you already on Windows 10, or not

I know X99stattrak has told you otherwise... but I wouldn't skip the key part. from my understanding and albiet limited experience updating windows 10 on a few computers now, they always accept the windows 7 or 8.1 keys when prompted for the windows 10 key. 

My recommendation, put your key in when asked, and if it doesn't work (highly unlikely) then just skip the key and come back here for help.

Edit** also, if possible, make sure you have access to another computer, tablet, or phone that can access the web. Should you run into any problems lots of great people here can help you out. I don't recommend calling Microsoft, they are pretty useless, and sometimes hard to understand the people because Microsofts call centers for Tech support are in the Philippines and in India.

Worked Great! Thanks Everyone.