A little help

Go to solution Solved by incarnate,

Ok Thanks,

we have another set here that we can try, an i7-2600, would that work better or just give the same performance?

and if have addtional budget let's say $300, what CPU and MOBO can we get for decent modern gaming with the current items we have already?

Thanks!

That i7 is way better. It'll work great

Hello!

I'm a little new when it comes to PC building, well I haven't built anything yet, I just upgraded the existing desktop that we have for my brother as a gift.

It was a pre-built HP desktop which has:

CPU: AMD A10-6800K

MOBO: MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03343058

RAM: HP Generic RAM 10GB ( 1x8gb, 1x2GB)

PSU: Generic 400W

GPU: Some GPU

Case: HP Case

So Far the upgrade that we did is:

CPU: AMD A10-6800K

MOBO: MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03343058

RAM: HP Generic RAM 10GB ( 1x8gb, 1x2GB)

PSU: Corsair RM850W

GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB

Case: HP Case

So far the game we tested are these:

CS: GO - 10-20 FPS 1080 (wierd)

Skyrim - some areas 15-25 FPS 1080

Fallout 3 - 60+ FPS 1080

All we tested in Ultra High Seetings, didn't tweak anything.

Quesiton is what settings or anything we can do to get consistent 60+ FPS? on games like which settings to turn off or reduce.

or is it my CPU that is bottlenecking my GPU??

would OCing the CPU help? we would need to get a new MOBO for that though. Which is fine cause it's not that expensive for FM2+ MOBO

I had the choice to get this R9 290 or an R9 380 (asked the forum and 290 dominted and waaay cheaper)

reason for asking is so we can save money for a good CPU and MOBO

Thanks for any comments and suggestion!!

Probably the CPU is bottlenecking IMO

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Your processor probably is the limiting factor and yes, overclocking it will get you better performance. However, like you say, it could be more effective to get a complete platform change somewhere down the line.

Did thou not replace thy CPU? If thy wants good performance, change must be needed! Unlike my armor, a CPU cannot be polished anew! The power seems a little "over-kill", although as i say one can never kill too many heathens, or have too many watts! Also, thou ram might not be compatible! Get two of thy sticks from the same source, and if already of that, the same type!

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

Did thou not replace thy CPU? If thy wants good performance, change must be needed! Unlike my armor, a CPU cannot be polished anew! The power seems a little "over-kill", although as i say one can never kill too many heathens, or have too many watts! Also, thou ram might not be compatible! Get two of thy sticks from the same source, and if already of that, the same type!

This. Is. Amazing xD

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Thank you good sir!

I only had the budget for the GPU and PSU and got them in a good deal minimal use for both for about $330 CAD, hence the Computer Case LOL.

the RAM came with the PC that's the next thing I'll change since I have an APU and will get a faster RAM

Your processor probably is the limiting factor and yes, overclocking it will get you better performance. However, like you say, it could be more effective to get a complete platform change somewhere down the line.

Thanks for the reply, but my CPU is decent though right? cause right now the budget left is either for SSD, new RAM or new MOBO(foroverclocking) 

Thanks for the reply, but my CPU is decent though right? cause right now the budget left is either for SSD, new RAM or new MOBO(foroverclocking)

Decent for every day use, yes.

Decent for gaming.... no. Not for modern games. You will bottleneck that gpu in most games with that cpu.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Yeah it's fine and it will suffice for now but considering you've got an incredibly powerful graphics card then a processor that you can essentially buy for £60 (see Athlon 860k), it'll be limiting you in many games.

In terms of ram, what's the point in getting new stuff? 10GB should be fine. The only time that I go over 8GB is Cities: Skylines with a 300k city. My recent upgrade to 16GB proved to be a poor investment.

I would definitely get an SSD though, they are worth the ~£40 that you spend, more so than the ram.

After the SSD though, I'd be saving up for a new processor and motherboard.

Decent for every day use, yes.

Decent for gaming.... no. Not for modern games. You will bottleneck that gpu in most games with that cpu.

Ok Thanks,

we have another set here that we can try, an i7-2600, would that work better or just give the same performance?

and if have addtional budget let's say $300, what CPU and MOBO can we get for decent modern gaming with the current items we have already?

Thanks!

Yeah it's fine and it will suffice for now but considering you've got an incredibly powerful graphics card then a processor that you can essentially buy for £60 (see Athlon 860k), it'll be limiting you in many games.

In terms of ram, what's the point in getting new stuff? 10GB should be fine. The only time that I go over 8GB is Cities: Skylines with a 300k city. My recent upgrade to 16GB proved to be a poor investment.

I would definitely get an SSD though, they are worth the ~£40 that you spend, more so than the ram.

After the SSD though, I'd be saving up for a new processor and motherboard.

so Athlon 860K works better than what we have right now? We'll start looking for some options for now and start saving lol

so Athlon 860K works better than what we have right now? We'll start looking for some options for now and start saving lol

Nah, they're at parity. What I'm saying is there's no point in getting a better processor on that platform so it's better to save for a more significant upgrade.

Ok Thanks,

Thanks!

That i7 is way better. It'll work great

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB