F@H and PC Cooling: Change or No Change?

So my case is a Corsair Obsidian 650D with the default side panel & window. I just noticed that Corsair has a mesh replacement for the window that supports 4x120mm fans or 1x200mm fan.

The mesh panel itself, plus shipping, comes to a total of $37.49 USD. This price does not include fans. I will be buying 4 of these fans if I order the mesh window. (pricematched at $12.83 each)

Now for my question: is it worth buying the mesh window + adding 4 fans? My current temps while folding on the 'Full' setting are: CPU 61°C - GPU1 65°C - GPU2 57°C

Specs below. Thanks for the input!

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Umm what cooler do you have? Stock cooler? 212 EVO? H100i?

Hyper 212 Plus with two Corsair SP120 fans, and my planned upgrade is to a Zalman Reserator 3 Max

Hyper 212 Plus with two Corsair SP120 fans, and my planned upgrade is to a Zalman Reserator 3 Max

Don't think its worth 75+ dollars just to reduce the temperatures by a few degrees.

I would get the mesh panel + 2 fans 

don't think you will be getting much improvement if I'm honest. might get a few degrees, but in the end it is 2 amd cards + a cpu running in there.

and you have to think about noise. I don't know if you're bothered by the noise your rig makes, but 4 extra fans will ramp that up

I would get the mesh panel and move my existing fans to it so they can cool the gpus directly

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

your temps are fine, dont bother

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

your temps are fine, dont bother

and that, <70 is great

@natkoui

Maybe if you want get a 200mm fan on it for now? I am not sure if they will do as much as 4 or 2 120mm fans but its good for now....

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

As everyone said - IF you got the new side panel, you might get a couple of degrees benefit at most. Also, always go with the larger fan. The 200mm would be a lot better, and quieter then he 4x120.

Also, I believe your GPU's are the ones with the three fans one it? Basically pulls air in and exhausts it everywhere. Exhausting the heat from the case would help - make sure you have good air flow fans as intake in the front and on your rear and top.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

As everyone said - IF you got the new side panel, you might get a couple of degrees benefit at most. Also, always go with the larger fan. The 200mm would be a lot better, and quieter then he 4x120.

Also, I believe your GPU's are the ones with the three fans one it? Basically pulls air in and exhausts it everywhere. Exhausting the heat from the case would help - make sure you have good air flow fans as intake in the front and on your rear and top.

Yeah the old Windforce coolers before GIGABYTE came up with their triangle concept.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I just wondered as the side-panel window would get very warm, and no doubt the temperature in my room gets raised by a few degrees because of folding. :)

Maybe if you want get a 200mm fan on it for now? I am not sure if they will do as much as 4 or 2 120mm fans but its good for now....

Yeah, I'm just not a big fan (no pun intended) of 200mm fans as I have no option but 200mm in the front, and it doesn't seem to do all that much.

I have a diagram I made a while back, with the only difference being that front exhaust is now intake.

x6tn.jpg

Yeah the old Windforce coolers before GIGABYTE came up with their triangle concept.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I just wondered as the side-panel window would get very warm, and no doubt the temperature in my room gets raised by a few degrees because of folding. :)

Yeah, I'm just not a big fan (no pun intended) of 200mm fans as I have no option but 200mm in the front, and it doesn't seem to do all that much.

I have a diagram I made a while back, with the only difference being that front exhaust is now intake.

x6tn.jpg

wait, so the mesh side panel gives you an option to put 4 120mm, but not a single 200mm?

@natkoui

wait, so the mesh side panel gives you an option to put 4 120mm, but not a single 200mm?

Yes it does. I just prefer 4x120mm fans as opposed to 1x200mm fan.

OK, so couple of things based on your diagram. Make sure the front are intake. Based on the drive cages, make sure they are static pressure optimized, like your SP120's. Make sure those top fans (and rad eventually) are exhaust fans. Not intake fans. Having the top and front as intake can be screwing up your airflow pattern.

Then get a side panel with a 200mm fan - trust me - the 200mm will be a lot better then 4x120's. Not only a lot less clutter and noise, but a good 200 can move a massive amount of air. I have bought coolermaster and bitfenix ones which are great.

So... intake in the front and side. Exhaust the top and rear. PSU is fine...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

OK, so couple of things based on your diagram. Make sure the front are intake. Based on the drive cages, make sure they are static pressure optimized, like your SP120's. Make sure those top fans (and rad eventually) are exhaust fans. Not intake fans. Having the top and front as intake can be screwing up your airflow pattern.

Then get a side panel with a 200mm fan - trust me - the 200mm will be a lot better then 4x120's. Not only a lot less clutter and noise, but a good 200 can move a massive amount of air. I have bought coolermaster and bitfenix ones which are great.

So... intake in the front and side. Exhaust the top and rear. PSU is fine...

As I mentioned in my previous post, the front is intake. :) It was changed after the diagram was made.

I have ordered fans with almost a 200% increase in CFM for my top intake, which I think I'll leave for now.

I have a spare 200mm fan to use if I get the mesh grille, so shouldn't be much of a bother. Plus it has blue LEDs :D

indeed your temps are just fine :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular