MOBO & OS Question's

Go to solution Solved by Blucyrik,

Wait so do you have the actual Windows key (like written on a piece of paper or digital) on hand? Make sure you get it by some means of software, like Magical Jelly Bean.

From my personal experience you have to download Windows 8.1 from Microsoft directly, throw it onto a flashdrive (or burn it to a disc if people still do that) and install it on the new machine with the new motherboard. After it's installed, then you have to do the upgrade thingy to Windows 10. Only reason I say to do it this way is because I had a Windows 7 Professional key lying around and I wanted to use it for my new Windows 10 build. It didn't work because the key was only good for WIndows 7 Professional, not for Windows 10, despite being able to upgrade through the tool you use to upgrade to Windows 10.

Hopefully the above makes sense, I really rushed through writing this since I have places to be :)

To answer your actual question: you can still upgrade to Windows 10 from your WIndows 8.1 key.

So earlier this year I bought a pre built Acer PC which Included a copy of Windows 8.1. Earlier this month I built my own PC but the MOBO was defective had parts broken off It (yes actual parts were broken off) so I had to send It back and get a new one. In the meantime I used the MOBO from the pre built Acer pc, whilst every other part was new (except from CPU, GPU & HDD). So now I just got my new MOBO and I plan on Installing It. But I had a few questions.

NOTE: The copy of Windows I got with the pre built was Windows 8.1 and later upgraded to 10 so Its a Windows 8.1 key on my computer.

1: I dont have any Install disk for Windows, so when I wipe my HDD all I will have Is a Windows 8.1 key, how do I go about Installing Windows again? I cant download the Windows 10 tool right? Beacuse my key Is a Windows 8.1 key. So how do I go about Installing It again? Also, once Ive gotten Windows 8.1 Installed again can I still upgrade to Windows 10 or was that just for the Acer MOBO?

Wait so do you have the actual Windows key (like written on a piece of paper or digital) on hand? Make sure you get it by some means of software, like Magical Jelly Bean.

From my personal experience you have to download Windows 8.1 from Microsoft directly, throw it onto a flashdrive (or burn it to a disc if people still do that) and install it on the new machine with the new motherboard. After it's installed, then you have to do the upgrade thingy to Windows 10. Only reason I say to do it this way is because I had a Windows 7 Professional key lying around and I wanted to use it for my new Windows 10 build. It didn't work because the key was only good for WIndows 7 Professional, not for Windows 10, despite being able to upgrade through the tool you use to upgrade to Windows 10.

Hopefully the above makes sense, I really rushed through writing this since I have places to be :)

To answer your actual question: you can still upgrade to Windows 10 from your WIndows 8.1 key.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Ahh, ok, thanks :) One more question though, how do I find the Windows key? Considering Its a pre built there was no note with the key on It :P