Possible to lower ram timings

So basically the main reason people don't recommend buying faster ram for everyday system usage is because unless buying expensive ram the timings are usually higher as well. If I have 2400 mhz ram that the site rates at cas 11 would it be possible to lower that special without lowering the timings as well?

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Without lowering the timings? CAS Latency is based on the timings (I believe). And lower timings are generally better. 

If you lower the speed, you can normally lower the timings a bit. The differences will be negligible though. 

Without lowering the timings? CAS Latency is based on the timings (I believe). And lower timings are generally better.

If you lower the speed, you can normally lower the timings a bit. The differences will be negligible though.

I worded that wrong I meant lowering the timings Without lowering the mhz

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

So basically the main reason people don't recommend buying faster ram for everyday system usage is because unless buying expensive ram the timings are usually higher as well. If I have 2400 mhz ram that the site rates at cas 11 would it be possible to lower that special without lowering the timings as well?

That's not true though. Timings are quoted in clock cycles, and clock cycles are shorter at higher clock frequencies. For example, CL11 at 2400 MT/s is lower latency than CL9 at 1600 MT/s.

I worded that wrong I meant lowering the timings Without lowering the mhz

It's a similar concept to overclocking.. It depends on the individual modules. You may be able to, but also might not. The performance differences will be negligible. 

That's not true though. Timings are quoted in clock cycles, and clock cycles are shorter at higher clock frequencies. For example, CL11 at 2400 MT/s is lower latency than CL9 at 1600 MT/s.

Yeah but I was getting at the price margin. Wouldn't CL11 2400 be slower than like 1866 CL9 or 1600 CL8?

Yeah but I was getting at the price margin. Wouldn't CL11 2400 be slower than like 1866 CL9 or 1600 CL8?

No. CL11 at 2400 is 9.17 nanoseconds, CL9 at 1866 is 9.65 nanoseconds, and CL8 at 1600 is 10 nanoseconds.