Cooling a Cooler Master Silencio 550

Roboguy99
Go to solution Solved by noisebomb44,

One last thing - how much OC potential do you think I'd get out of the 4790k once I've got some proper air cooling installed, because I might want to OC it in the future? Have you got any recommended fans I should get?

I found this

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2575648/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-handle-overclocked-4790k.html

4.2Ghz is a guarantee according to them, and you can probably go further if you really want to

Systemfans are pretty personal, if you are like me and prefer it to be quiet over having better raw performance and maybe even a lower price, you should probably get noctuas system fans or something like it

If you prefer raw performance and a cheaper price over silence, you will have to either google it or ask someone else on this forum, ive had no experience with that yet

I recently upgraded my rig to have a 980 and 4790k, and have quite quickly found out that even with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo it runs very hot (the CPU idles at 40-50C, and the GPU at 60C). I don't really know anything about cooling, so don't really know what to do. I've spoken to people who have recommended the Corsair H100i or H80i, but I'm not actually sure if they'll fit in the case or if they're really worth it.

It's probably worth noting I have not bought any extra fans, so both the case and 212 are as they were out of the box.

Does anybody have any better ideas or can anybody suggest what to buy in terms of both CPU and case cooling?

how many case fans do you have?

1 in front and 1 in back does it on most cases

although some need 2 in front and 1 in back in order to cool effectivly, especially if it has a front mounted filter

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

how many case fans do you have?

1 in front and 1 in back does it on most cases

although some need 2 in front and 1 in back in order to cool effectivly, especially if it has a front mounted filter

I've got the two that come with the case, on in the front behind a dust filter and one in the back.

How hot is your room?

Are the fans spinning?

How hot is your room?

Are the fans spinning?

My room is 16C, quite cold. All fans are definitely spinning, I've checked that several times.

maybe you could check your fan speed curve in you BIOS

There is deffinatly something wrong with your cooling system if you havnt OC

maybe you could check your fan speed curve in you BIOS

There is deffinatly something wrong with your cooling system if you havnt OC

I've tried setting the fan speed to max in the BIOS. CPU now idling at just over 30C and GPU at 50C while the case is open. It seems to me a better cooling is in order.

Here's a photo of the fan speed curve:

cxwef0P.jpg

I've tried setting the fan speed to max in the BIOS. CPU now idling at just over 30C and GPU at 40C while the case is open. It seems to me a better cooling is in order.

thats some pretty normal temps, but you shouldnt need to have your system fans at 100% to reach it. Maybe your cable management is bad, that can stop airflow pretty easily. Did you mount your PSU upside down, that can help temps quite a bit. Also if you mounted the fans yourself, make sure that they dont point in the wrong direction

Are your systemfans 4-pin or 3-pins? if they are 3-pins you should maybe consider getting a fan controller

thats some pretty normal temps, but you shouldnt need to have your system fans at 100% to reach it. Maybe your cable management is bad, that can stop airflow pretty easily. Did you mount your PSU upside down, that can help temps quite a bit. Also if you mounted the fans yourself, make sure that they dont point in the wrong direction

Are your systemfans 4-pin or 3-pins? if they are 3-pins you should maybe consider getting a fan controller

The only fan I mounted is the one on the CPU cooler. The PSU is the correct way up as far as I know (fan facing out the bottom). My cabling is *fairly* tidy as far as I know. I'll upload a picture in a second so you can judge it.

ozjMiqp.jpg

I suppose those cables on the bottom left could be tidied a little bit. Problem is they're all quite taught. I've never done anything like this before, can you tell?

I think you have to check the "smart fan mode" in order for your profiles to work, also having the max fan speed begin at 100 C is not good, because by that time your CPU/GPU should already have shut themselves down, instead make the fans run at max speed at like 70-80C

Also the curve you are looking at in the screenshot on post 7 the CPU fan 1, you should also configure your systemfans about the same way but a little bit less agressive since they sound more

A synced fan curve is preferable

And yes, the correct way is with the fan pointing down

You could also clean your filters if you have any, that can stop air coming through pretty easily

I think you have to check the "smart fan mode" in order for your profiles to work, also having the max fan speed begin at 100 C is not good, because by that time your CPU/GPU should already have shut themselves down, instead make the fans run at max speed at like 70-80C

Also the curve you are looking at in the screenshot on post 7 the CPU fan 1, you should also configure your systemfans about the same way but a little bit less agressive since they sound more

A synced fan curve is preferable

And yes, the correct way is with the fan pointing down

You could also clean your filters if you have any, that can stop air coming through pretty easily

I unchecked smart fan to put it at max, but that's what it was on, I will definitely change the curve though. I don't actually have any system fans picked up in the BIOS (should the case fans be plugged into the mobo and not the psu or something?). All my filters are clean. I just don't think the 212 is powerful enough for the 4790k...

EDIT: The GPU has now heated to 60C.

I suppose that brings me on to my original question. Should I get a Corsair H80i, and will it fit in the case and be worth it?

That was supposed to be the question anyway. I did make it a little bit unclear...

EDIT: Don't worry about GPU, turns out it's target temp was set to 80C so the fans were staying off.

EDIT 2: I just put my case side back on and turned it back upright, and the CPU has gone back up to 40-45C. 

I suppose that brings me on to my original question. Should I get a Corsair H80i, and will it fit in the case and be worth it?

That was supposed to be the question anyway. I did make it a little bit unclear...

EDIT: Don't worry about GPU, turns out it's target temp was set to 80C so the fans were staying off.

EDIT 2: I just put my case side back on and turned it back upright, and the CPU has gone back up to 40-45C.

Sorry. Kinda hijacking your thread but what mobo is that? Is it good?

CPU: 4690k @ 4.4GHz

GPU: R9 290 DCUII

MoBo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Headset: Sennheiser Momentum

Rest: nothing amazing

Sorry. Kinda hijacking your thread but what mobo is that? Is it good?

I've got the MSI Z97 Gaming 5. It's pretty darn good as far as I can tell, although I've just had to get a replacement because two of the RAM slots are broken. Read some reviews, but I'd recommend it.

Anyway, anyone recommend me a cooler?

the 212 should be enough to handle a 4790k, i mean hell it can even run on the stock cooler if its not overclocked, so i dont think it would make any difference if you changed your cooler. My i5 4690k runs great on my 212

The reson as to why your case fan doesnt appear, is probably because they are 3-pin connectors, which means that they cant be controlled except with a fan controller, otherwise they will always run at max speeds. If you have the r4 or r5 case you should already have a built in fan controller that you can connect them into, but there are also other cases with this feature as well. If your case doesnt have a fan controller you could think about getting one, but keep in mind that fan controllers cant (from my experience atleast) change the speed on the fans automaticaly. The other option you have is to replace all (or atleast some) of your fans with 4-pin connector fans

Also, keep in mind that if you want to buy new 4-pin fans you should make sure so that you have enough 4-pin adapters on your motherboard

the 212 should be enough to handle a 4790k, i mean hell it can even run on the stock cooler if its not overclocked, so i dont think it would make any difference if you changed your cooler. My i5 4690k runs great on my 212

The reson as to why your case fan doesnt appear, is probably because they are 3-pin connectors, which means that they cant be controlled except with a fan controller, otherwise they will always run at max speeds. If you have the r4 or r5 case you should already have a built in fan controller that you can connect them into, but there are also other cases with this feature as well. If your case doesnt have a fan controller you could think about getting one, but keep in mind that fan controllers cant (from my experience atleast) change the speed on the fans automaticaly. The other option you have is to replace all (or atleast some) of your fans with 4-pin connector fans

Also, keep in mind that if you want to buy new 4-pin fans you should make sure so that you have enough 4-pin adapters on your motherboard

Ok I will definitely keep this in mind. I presume every system fan in the BIOS is another 4-pin slot?

My case does not have a fan controller in-built, but I'd prefer automation so I'll probably just get new fans.

Oh and just out of interest, what sort of temps do you actually get, what case do you have and is your CPU overclocked at all?

Ok I will definitely keep this in mind. I presume every system fan in the BIOS is another 4-pin slot?

My case does not have a fan controller in-built, but I'd prefer automation so I'll probably just get new fans.

Oh and just out of interest, what sort of temps do you actually get, what case do you have and is your CPU overclocked at all?

Yeah, i guess, and i think that you can actually use the CPU2 slot for a 4-pin fan as well. If you want to be sure though you could google your motherboard and search for 

I have the R4 black pearl case, and its pretty good, filters on every vent except the top, using 3 fans, 2 3-pin in front (came with the case and i always have them at the lowest option on my fan controller) and 1 4-pin in the back (bought it)

My CPU temps on idle are around 30C, using 10% system fan speed and around 20% CPU fan speed, my GPU is around 35-40C on idle (GTX 770), but i left it on auto fan speed, and my room is 21 C most of the time

When playing demanding games my CPU and GPU never goes above 75C most of the time though, thats because i have my systemfan, and CPU fan on 100% when it reaches 70C

I have no OCs right now, i just got the cooling gear so that my GPU and CPU never downclocks itself, and so that i dont have to clean my filer that often since my two front fans can blow through a dusty filter

After googeling your motherboard it seems like it has

- 2 x 4-pin CPU fan connectors
- 3 x 4-pin system fan connectors
So you have enough slots for it

also, your cable management seems okay, and is probably not affecting performance that much

Yeah, i guess, and i think that you can actually use the CPU2 slot for a 4-pin fan as well. If you want to be sure though you could google your motherboard and search for 

I have the R4 black pearl case, and its pretty good, filters on every vent except the top, using 3 fans, 2 3-pin in front (came with the case and i always have them at the lowest option on my fan controller) and 1 4-pin in the back (bought it)

My CPU temps on idle are around 30C, using 10% system fan speed and around 20% CPU fan speed, my GPU is around 35-40C on idle (GTX 770), but i left it on auto fan speed, and my room is 21 C most of the time

When playing demanding games my CPU and GPU never goes above 75C most of the time though, thats because i have my systemfan, and CPU fan on 100% when it reaches 70C

I have no OCs right now, i just got the cooling gear so that my GPU and CPU never downclocks itself, and so that i dont have to clean my filer that often since my two front fans can blow through a dusty filter

After googeling your motherboard it seems like it has

- 2 x 4-pin CPU fan connectors
- 3 x 4-pin system fan connectors
So you have enough slots for it

also, your cable management seems okay, and is probably not affecting performance that much

One last thing - how much OC potential do you think I'd get out of the 4790k once I've got some proper air cooling installed, because I might want to OC it in the future? Have you got any recommended fans I should get?

I found this

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2575648/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-handle-overclocked-4790k.html

4.2Ghz is a guarantee according to them, and you can probably go further if you really want to

Systemfans are pretty personal, if you are like me and prefer it to be quiet over having better raw performance and maybe even a lower price, you should probably get noctuas system fans or something like it

If you prefer raw performance and a cheaper price over silence, you will have to either google it or ask someone else on this forum, ive had no experience with that yet

I unchecked smart fan to put it at max, but that's what it was on, I will definitely change the curve though. I don't actually have any system fans picked up in the BIOS (should the case fans be plugged into the mobo and not the psu or something?). All my filters are clean. I just don't think the 212 is powerful enough for the 4790k...

EDIT: The GPU has now heated to 60C.

If your fans are plugged straight into the power supply, they can't be controlled by the motherboard so tweaking the fan curves does literally nothing. If they're plugged straight into the PSU they should already be pegged at max speed with no way to slow them down.

i5 3570k @4.2GHz

Corsair H100i GTX 

Asus P8Z77-V PRO 

OCZ 650W PSU

Nvidia GTX 760 SSC 2GB

Corsair Carbide 500R

SanDisk PLUS 120GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD

I recommend the corsair air series high performance edition fans for a silent yet stable operation, only downside is that it has a 3 pin and not a 4 pin. But a cheap fan controler would solve that issue for you. Also these fans are quite cheap in comparisson to the noctua ones (which are great fans btw).

Edit: oeps, there is a 4pin version of the fan, so no fan controler needed!

That is weird but also at the same time expected, 4790k processors do run quite hot however I would add second fan to the heatsink for a push pull configuration i would also check if thermal paste has been applied properly i usually use the line or the small pea method these two usually work the best. If that still doesn't do the trick then I'm afraid you have lost the silicone lottery

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL