MacBook 2015

Go to solution Solved by Mew,

If I am coming from a MacBook Air (on the mobile side), I need a really good IPS screen, I value portability, I will only run Photoshop/Lightroom (Mac version, a PC will require me to purchase a new copy and/or subscription), and I only need one USB-C hub (http://www.amazon.com/Juiced-Systems-MBA-02SG-Macbook-Charging/dp/B015YL6N0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452657727&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+c+hub), then is the 2015 MacBook the right choice for me? The main reasons why I am thinking of getting one are that Windows needs a new PS license, the laptop is slim as hell and would lighten the burden of carrying around a tripod, lighting, slider, lenses, etc., the screen is very nice, and that many other companies have horrible warranty support *ahem* Asus. 

There are more powerful similarly priced alternatives like the surface

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Make sure to get a 256GB+ model...my sister found the 128GB 2015 Model lacking in storage...don't worry all my sister does is PS so she was in the same boat as you. 

I used my sister's MBP 2015 model before, and it's nice and light. Good for portability, don't see any thermal throttling... 

There are more powerful similarly priced alternatives like the surface

Cons to the surface:

-A shit ton for Adobe license

-Less comfortable KB

-Extra KB Cost ($130?)

If I am coming from a MacBook Air (on the mobile side), I need a really good IPS screen, I value portability, I will only run Photoshop/Lightroom (Mac version, a PC will require me to purchase a new copy and/or subscription), and I only need one USB-C hub (http://www.amazon.com/Juiced-Systems-MBA-02SG-Macbook-Charging/dp/B015YL6N0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452657727&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+c+hub), then is the 2015 MacBook the right choice for me? The main reasons why I am thinking of getting one are that Windows needs a new PS license, the laptop is slim as hell and would lighten the burden of carrying around a tripod, lighting, slider, lenses, etc., the screen is very nice, and that many other companies have horrible warranty support *ahem* Asus. 

i am personally a windows guy but my sister has the 2014 macbook pro retina and trust me it is thinner and lighter than you think. people compare it to the macbook air and treat it as heavy and its honestly not very heavyy. So PLEASEEEEEE dont get the macbook. we need to prove to apple that when they release BULLSHIT like the macbook, we arent gonna buy it.

get the macbook pro, I have it and can't be happier

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Cons to the surface:

-Less comfortable KB

-Extra KB Cost ($130?)

Surface book

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Make sure to get a 256GB+ model...my sister found the 128GB 2015 Model lacking in storage...don't worry all my sister does is PS so she was in the same boat as you. 

I used my sister's MBP 2015 model before, and it's nice and light. Good for portability, don't see any thermal throttling... 

Yeah the base for the 12" MacBook is 256GB. To be clear, I am talking about the controversial USB-C device.

I run photoshop and viewnx on my macbook (2014) with no problems at all. Its battery life helps me a lot.

Yeah the base for the 12" MacBook is 256GB. To be clear, I am talking about the controversial USB-C device.

GET THE RETINA MACBOOK PRO

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Surface book

Expensive as hell, dodgy reviews

Cons to the surface:

-Less comfortable KB

-Extra KB Cost ($130?)

less comfortable keyboard lol. The surface pro 4 type keyboard is milesssss better then the ultra thin, no travel distance keyboard on the macbook 2015

Expensive as hell, dodgy reviews

I5 vs core M

touch screen

can work as a tablet

has stylus

WHAT HE SAID

It's worth it anyway...

Wait nvm...

I guess it wouldn't be that bad for the USB-C.

GET THE RETINA MACBOOK PRO

IMO, the rMBP would work better for you if you don't mind paying a little more.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF839LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Edit: Oh wait it's cheaper LOL

256GB 2014. Not bad: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FGX82LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

get the macbook pro, I have it and can't be happier

Coming from a MBA, do you think that it'd be a lot heavier? I'm not weak or anything (quite the contrary) but it is a factor.

i am personally a windows guy but my sister has the 2014 macbook pro retina and trust me it is thinner and lighter than you think. people compare it to the macbook air and treat it as heavy and its honestly not very heavyy. So PLEASEEEEEE dont get the macbook. we need to prove to apple that when they release BULLSHIT like the macbook, we arent gonna buy it.

I think you're right.

Cons to the surface:

-Less comfortable KB

-Extra KB Cost ($130?)

XPS 13 is less expensive (assuming you get 1080p version), much more powerful (yet similar battery life), and has more useful ports. Imho it's a better screen either way but to each their own. Linus certainly loved it (as do I).

Zenbook UX303/5 is MUCH cheaper for similiarly configured models, the build quality is impeccable imho. Here is a full review... http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430108-asus-zenbook-ux303la-ds52tus51t-review/ of the Broadwell version. The skylake version is just an iterative improvement.

There are a few others on the market, but those are the two I would recommend checking out before committing to the macbook 2015. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I5 vs core M

touch screen

can work as a tablet

has stylus

It's $1700 USD and I'd need to pay for a new Photoshop license.

less comfortable keyboard lol. The surface pro 4 type keyboard is milesssss better then the ultra thin, no travel distance keyboard on the macbook 2015

It's not like I try both of them out every time I go to the local mall....

Looks like refurb MBP is the way to go, thanks everybody  :D

256GB 2014. Not bad: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FGX82LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Coming from a MBA, do you think that it'd be a lot heavier? I'm not weak or anything (quite the contrary) but it is a factor.

I think you're right.

everyone at my school who has an air wants a pro now because of me. It's a lot better and it's amazing. Screen is sex, performance is more than needed, and it's build quality is amazing. JUST GET IT AND BE HAPPY