What media can I play on an Acer Aspire ONE D270-1375

My cousin's son was given an Acer Aspire ONE D270-1375 upon completion of a govt program and I was asked to "see what I could do with it".  I performed a factory reset, did a bit of decrappifying and installed a few useful programs.  He tried to play a few movies I'd DLed for him a while back but they stutter horribly and the sound constantly goes out of sync.  Task Manager showed GOMPlayer, VLC, and even SMPlayer alone using near 100% CPU capacity and 75% memory.

I don't know enough about how different media gets processed to know what I should be changing in terms of file conversion (or what to look for DLing for them in the future) to make the files more palatable to a 1.6ghz atom processor w/GMA 3600 integrated graphics and only 1GB of RAM.  Could someone please tell me if/how to play a movie on this Netbook.

Thanks.

Try MPC-HC and convert media to 3GP.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

yeah.. thats a netbook alright...

do you have the ability of installing linux on it?

yeah.. thats a netbook alright...

do you have the ability of installing linux on it?

I could but he'd be even more lost than usual...

He was missing a codec on his home computer so when he brought over the netbook I put the installation file on its Desktop for him to transfer to the computer when he got home via flash-drive.  I've shown him how to do this a number of times but explained again just for good measure.  I told him once he had transferred it to the home computer to double click on the file to install it.  He transferred the file to a flash-drive.  He transferred it from the flash drive to his home computer.  Can you guess what happened next???  That's right; He double clicked the file on the netbook!!!!!

Try MPC-HC and convert media to 3GP.

I'll give it a shot next time I can get him to bring it over (hopefully this week, prob. next) and I'll let you know.  Thanks.