what am i looking at here, tried OC 5930K to 4.0

ok, so i attempted an overclock (my first time ever) using AI suit, it tried going to 4.0, then 4.5, then continued BSOD. so after a few resets, i figured out how to set the values myself, and i tried for 4.0 GHz, which i seem to have gotten, but im getting different system reports.

this is my CPU usage gadget

gadget

this is AI suit

asus AI

CPU-Z and task manager

manager

so what should i be believing here? did i get to 4.0 GHz with only minor headache, or did i miss something?

thanks.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

ok, so i attempted an overclock (my first time ever) using AI suit, it tried going to 4.0, then 4.5, then continued BSOD. so after a few resets, i figured out how to set the values myself, and i tried for 4.0 GHz, which i seem to have gotten, but im getting different system reports.

this is my CPU usage gadget

this is AI suit

CPU-Z and task manager

so what should i be believing here? did i get to 4.0 GHz with only minor headache, or did i miss something?

thanks.

Non-standard intel sockets (like ASUS's OC socket) often have issues with software overclocking. Try doing it via bios instead. 

Looks like the 4.0 worked as it should.

4.5 @ 1.3 V should also work (assuming vccin is in line with 1.90-2.0 V) if not, 4.4 @ 1.3 is a shoe-in.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I would say you did hit 4 ghz but make sure you see a benifit in aid64 cpu benchmark

Non-standard intel sockets (like ASUS's OC socket) often have issues with software overclocking. Try doing it via bios instead.

this, except it should apply everywhere : bios is the best place to overclock

this, except it should apply everywhere : bios is the best place to overclock

Well bios is obviously the best place, but software works quite well on most cpu's. 

In fact, I use XTU on all my laptops to undervolt and improve battery life.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

thanks for y'all's help so far, i have some results and a few more questions.

1st, i got the system to run stable @4GHz, under prime for about 3 hours, it was also stable under prime, and furmark, for the 25 minutes i had extra.

so here's the question, in bios i set core voltage to 1.2V, and it remained so during testing, also in bios i see a setting labled 'CPU input voltage', set to 1.888V. what is the difference between the 2? and which one needs my attention if i try to push passed 4GHz? 

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

thanks for y'all's help so far, i have some results and a few more questions.

1st, i got the system to run stable @4GHz, under prime for about 3 hours, it was also stable under prime, and furmark, for the 25 minutes i had extra.

so here's the question, in bios i set core voltage to 1.2V, and it remained so during testing, also in bios i see a setting labled 'CPU input voltage', set to 1.888V. what is the difference between the 2? and which one needs my attention if i try to push passed 4GHz? 

CPU input voltage is commonly called VCCIN. If you want to overclock more you should set that 1.88 to say 1.95 and forget about it.

CPU core voltage is commonly called Vcore and that is what you will be playing around with during overclocking.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

ok, i was attempting to shoot a bit higher, for 4.5, but i had a strange encounter, i was attempting to set the voltage to 1.3V, but the bios auto-reverted lower to, i think it was 1.245 or somewhere in that mark, would there be a particular reason why i cant set 1.3V?

ok, im going to close this whole thing with this, i want to say first that im admittedly vary skiddish, that said, this last attempt i was testing 4.2, and my computer just shut off, or restarted, not sure which, but when i tried to comeback around, it gave me a secure boot error, ya not even related to OCing, but it startled me enough to the point i reverted to stock, that said, this was a fun experiment, though personally, i likely wont overclock anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you got 4.0 Ghz on your 5930k congratulations. Use cpu-z to verify your clock speed and volatage. Next you should run a stress test like prime95 for about 15 to 30 minutes that's what i would do if it fails increase the voltage, however if you're not comfortable with the temperature reduce the clock speed and voltage. Good luck and welcome to overclocking.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL