CPU bottlenecking

So i currently have a GTX 960 SSC and an i3-3220 and i feel like it is bottlenecking the GPU as it runs fairly poorly in even simple games such as minecraft. I am hoping to get a better CPU but i dont know what to go with that wont bottleneck the GPU. I will probably have around 300$ to spend on it please leave suggestions! Thanks!

So i currently have a GTX 960 SSC and an i3-3220 and i feel like it is bottlenecking the GPU as it runs fairly poorly in even simple games such as minecraft. I am hoping to get a better CPU but i dont know what to go with that wont bottleneck the GPU. I will probably have around 300$ to spend on it please leave suggestions! Thanks!

too see if its bottlenecking see if the cpu is at 100 percent and gpu usage is low

Bottlenecking =/= Inadequate performance

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

I feel like bottlenecking has become an overused term within the last year or two. =/

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

An i3 won't bottleneck a 960.

A Pentium will bottleneck a 980 Ti.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

too see if its bottlenecking see if the cpu is at 100 percent and gpu usage is low

No, that's not how that works at all... First of all, that implies you're playing a game that supports 4 threads equally.

Secondly, you can have 95-98% GPU load and still be pulling in way less drawcalls than you would on a faster chip.

An i3 won't bottleneck a 960.

A Pentium will bottleneck a 980 Ti.

An i3-3220 is not in any way compareable to say... an i3-4130 or a 6100. The ivy i3's were pretty lacklustre. You people really need to do your homework and stop repeating what the next guy said. 

This pointless, vapid and contextuous information doesn't help anyone. 

EDIT;

Even from the i5-4690K to the 6600K there is still a gain, albeit with diminishing returns. You're def. reaching drawcall saturation there. But just blatantly saying anything above a pentium will saturate a 980TI is disingenuous

Will minecraft is a solely CPU-bound game, but it should still run OK on a i3-3220. Most people play that game on laptops and mobile hardware that is significantly less powerful. Is everything working correctly?

No, that's not how that works at all... First of all, that implies you're playing a game that supports 4 threads equally.

Secondly, you can have 95-98% GPU load and still be pulling in way less drawcalls than you would on a faster chip.

An i3-3220 is not in any way compareable to say... an i3-4130 or a 6100. The ivy i3's were pretty lacklustre. You people really need to do your homework and stop repeating what the next guy said. 

This pointless, vapid and contextuous information doesn't help anyone. 

EDIT;

Even from the i5-4690K to the 6600K there is still a gain, albeit with diminishing returns. You're def. reaching drawcall saturation there. But just blatantly saying anything above a pentium will saturate a 980TI is disingenuous

Will minecraft is a solely CPU-bound game, but it should still run OK on a i3-3220. Most people play that game on laptops and mobile hardware that is significantly less powerful. Is everything working correctly?

Well, I am trying to record it cus i wanna make a youtube channel along with recording CSGO stuff but whenever i do even with shadowplay i will get a insane FPS drop where it goes from 60-100 down to 2 or 3 and basically freezes, So would upgrading to say an I5-4690k or something along those lines improve performance at all?

Well, I am trying to record it cus i wanna make a youtube channel along with recording CSGO stuff but whenever i do even with shadowplay i will get a insane FPS drop where it goes from 60-100 down to 2 or 3 and basically freezes, So would upgrading to say an I5-4690k or something along those lines improve performance at all?

Are you recording to the same drive?

Are you recording to the same drive?

I would assume it is. Im not fully sure i just hit the record button xD

Which phsyical drives do you have in the system?

I have a 1tb hard drive not sure what the brand is pretty sure its seagate barracuda or some other seagate one

I have a 1tb hard drive not sure what the brand is pretty sure its seagate barracuda or some other seagate one

Usually, recording and gaming on a hard drive at the same time...especially a game like Minecraft which streams a lot of chunks, is a bad idea. You're simply bottlenecked by the hard drive's I/O. My advice, add another drive. Possibly move your OS to an SSD and get a nice system performance boost to boot.

You can then install minecraft on the ssd and record to the HDD. Guaranteed that will work just fine, and saves you a lot of money.

Usually, recording and gaming on a hard drive at the same time...especially a game like Minecraft which streams a lot of chunks, is a bad idea. You're simply bottlenecked by the hard drive's I/O. My advice, add another drive. Possibly move your OS to an SSD and get a nice system performance boost to boot.

You can then install minecraft on the ssd and record to the HDD. Guaranteed that will work just fine, and saves you a lot of money.

Alright, Thanks for the help! 

Alright, Thanks for the help! 

And an ssd is never wasted, so even if it doesn't quite turn out it's always a nice performance boost. But i'm pretty sure that's the predominant issue. You can sort of test it with some USB stick or external hard drive. set shadowplay to save to those folders (its in the nvidia experience thingy under shadowplay) to the ehdd  (both temporary and storage folder) and look if that somewhat improves things. Keep in mind usb is fairly slow for this, so you're looking for a marginal improvement.