Windows vs. Console

Gregrs

I'm a beginner in C#, only know how to do console.readline & writeline, integers (x, y, etc..) and if/then statements.

But what I want to know is, whats the difference between console applications and windows applications when you're coding? Do you have to code a different way? Is it completely different then coding a console application, like coding for android?

I'm a beginner in C#, only know how to do console.readline & writeline, integers (x, y, etc..) and if/then statements.

But what I want to know is, whats the difference between console applications and windows applications when you're coding? Do you have to code a different way? Is it completely different then coding a console application, like coding for android?

No the language is exactly the same, but you will use different parts of the .NET framework.

No the language is exactly the same, but you will use different parts of the .NET framework.

Is there anywhere that I can learn to code for windows applications? I'm using the visual academy tutorials from the Microsoft site, but they only really teach you the bare basics.

Is there anywhere that I can learn to code for windows applications? I'm using the visual academy tutorials from the Microsoft site, but they only really teach you the bare basics.

You NEED to learn the language before you can go and make GUI based applications since they require concepts that you don't have learned yet to be used efficiently.

Learn the language, OOP and then go ahead with Windows Form (or WPF), for that you can take a look here, it has everything you need:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd30h2yb(v=vs.110).aspx

You NEED to learn the language before you can go and make GUI based applications since they require concepts that you don't have learned yet to be used efficiently.

Learn the language, OOP and then go ahead with Windows Form (or WPF), for that you can take a look here, it has everything you need:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd30h2yb(v=vs.110).aspx

THIS!

When you're done learning the basics of the language. Just go for WPF, you can do a lot more in the design of the application and actually make your program look nice. It's not that different from WFA code-wise so you will most likely not have to big of an issue using that over WFA. Just some small changes like using Content instead of Text when changing a Control's text/content or similar.

TL;DR, when done learning basics (with console applications), go WPF as you'll be able to do so much more design stuff than in WFA. It's better to learn that before WFA IMO.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

I'm using the visual academy tutorials from the Microsoft site, but they only really teach you the bare basics.

If you mean the C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners course, then by the time you've gone through it all you'll have gone through a small introduction to WPF. After completing the course, you'll have a basic understanding of C# and a small taste of WPF so you should be ready to move on to something more specific to WPF.

I've never looked up tutorials on how to do WPF development so I can't recommend anything specific but I find that Pluralsight usually has decent courses when it comes to topics in .NET development. Here is one option, and another option, for beginner WPF tutorials. They also include more advanced courses for you to continue with after the beginner ones.

Pluralsight is a paid site but you can get a free subscription with the free Visual Studio Dev Essentials program. While your at it, install a copy of Visual Studio 2015 Community (it's free) if you haven't already done so. It's better than the Express edition you may have installed from the Microsoft Academy course.

That should get you started. Also, don't forget to practice on your own too. Create and work on your own projects. Do something different than what the tutorial is doing. Following tutorials can be very helpful to guide you through new material, but when you're following along with code someone else is writing instead of writing it from scratch yourself, it can be easy to think you're learning more than you really are. So practice, a lot.

A console application is a Windows application (assuming you run it on Windows).

You mean a Console vs GUI. GUI is the same thing, except you're drawing stuff on screen for a user to interact with, rather than having them interact with text through the console.

Almost everything you can do with a Console application you can do with a GUI application, the difference is simply the interface for the user.

A console application is a Windows application (assuming you run it on Windows).

You mean a Console vs GUI. GUI is the same thing, except you're drawing stuff on screen for a user to interact with, rather than having them interact with text through the console.

Almost everything you can do with a Console application you can do with a GUI application, the difference is simply the interface for the user.

But what about specific tutorials? Like, something more along the lines of showing HOW to make certain things happen when you click a certain button. I get that the principles will be the same, but I'm more looking for something on how to actually write the code.

But what about specific tutorials? Like, something more along the lines of showing HOW to make certain things happen when you click a certain button. I get that the principles will be the same, but I'm more looking for something on how to actually write the code.

If I understand you correctly, you want tutorials to get you started with GUI applications. My suggestion would be to google/youtube search it and see if you can find something you like. For example, "wpf c#", I did that and got this tutorial on youtube that starts with the basics. Now, I haven't watched it myself so I'm unsure if this particular video is of any good quality code-wise. But if you don't like it, just google it. There are tons of tutorials on programming out there. Most of the times your question has probably already been answered and it's just a matter of finding it on google.

TBH, to be able to google when beginning to program is key IMHO. Otherwise you're most likely going to get stuck pretty fast. Of course you can ask on forums, but again, your question has probably already been answered. Therefore it's a lot quicker to just google it and see if you can find what you're looking for.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Forms are event driven, quite different to a Console. I would recommend using WPF if you are wanting to do forms though. WPF is the successor to Windows Forms and integrates with Windows Aero environment nicely :)

Forms are event driven, quite different to a Console. I would recommend using WPF if you are wanting to do forms though. WPF is the successor to Windows Forms and integrates with Windows Aero environment nicely :)

You could have an event driven console application if you like. It's just a design pattern. 

You could have an event driven console application if you like. It's just a design pattern. 

I was generalizing but whatever. You would have to be pretty drunk to create an event driven user interface using a console instead of Windows Forms or WPF.