which 6tb drive should i get for a raid 5 array

#Banana

partpicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#sort=d10&page=1&t=7200&i=25&S=6000000

So in the near future I will be buying 6 6tb and set them up in a raid 5 array. the array will be going in to a future build.

The Hdds will be used for plex video storage; so which ones are right for me? I lean more towards Seagate because they have been the most reliable for me.

I have not finalized the build plan because I will be waiting for the new GPUs to launch before I start buying parts.

I will also have an M.2 950 512gb as the boot drive and probably an Intel NVMe PCIe SSD for games. or whatever is newer and faster when build time comes.

If interested this is the build plan, if i were to build today (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/J9L9bv)

I put 6 hdds in as place holders

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

you are using 6 drives

i will suggest going for RAID 10 instead of RAID 5

with RAID 10

you may get half capacity of the total storage but your data is way safer than RAID 5 which only have a buffer of 1 drive failure

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

you are using 6 drives

with RAID 10

you may get half capacity of the total storage but your data is way safer than RAID 5 which only have a buffer of 1 drive failure

or compromise with Raid 6.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

you are using 6 drives

with RAID 10

A 6 drive RAID10 array can only safely lose one drive; same as RAID 5. May as well go with RAID 5 and have one drive wasted as opposed to three drives wasted.

or compromise with Raid 6.

This man knows his stuff.

Add one more drive, if you can buy six, you can buy seven and go with RAID 6

you are using 6 drives

with RAID 10

I appreciate your suggestion but I need the space. I have 10tb that I will be loading up. 18tb wouldn't leave me much room to grow.

A 6 drive RAID10 array can only safely lose one drive; same as RAID 5. May as well go with RAID 5 and have one drive wasted as opposed to three drives wasted.

RAID 10 is similar to RAID 6 but with better write performance and faster rebuild speed

while i not sure how many drives need to fail before the RAID is rendered useless

I keep hearing comparison of RAID 10 and 6 and RAID 10 chosen

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

This man knows his stuff.

Add one more drive, if you can buy six, you can buy seven and go with RAID 6

That I can do.

RAID 6 is another option to consider. It can be slightly safer than RAID 10 as if two drives in the same mirror fail the array is lost. RAID 6 also loses less usable space.

RAID 10 cannot easily be expanded with more disks later ether. This is dependent on what you are using to make the RAID 10 but this is true for any true RAID configuration, software solutions like ZFS may have different capabilities in this regard.

Either way with that few disks I'd run with RAID 5. I wouldn't consider 6 disks to be enough to warrant RAID 6, 10 or more disks is where I would start using that.

Either way with that few disks I'd run with RAID 5. I wouldn't consider 6 disks to be enough to warrant RAID 6, 10 or more disks is where I would start using that.

Six terabytes is a lot of data to rebuild; those drives would be going for a very, very long time rebuilding, I'd be worried about loosing a second drive during the rebuild. I'd also want to know how the RAID controller that would be used would handle UREs. The likelihood of encountering would would be pretty significant when rebuilding from 30 TB. 

Six terabytes is a lot of data to rebuild; those drives would be going for a very, very long time rebuilding, I'd be worried about loosing a second drive during the rebuild. I'd also want to know how the RAID controller that would be used would handle UREs. The likelihood of encountering would would be pretty significant when rebuilding from 30 TB. 

True, I'm a bit more proactive in replacing disks before they fail and use LSI 9361 and IBM M5110 with 1GB flash cache and set rebuild priority to low. I guess it comes down to experience and knowing the dangers, if in doubt go with the safer option as what someone else does might not be best for you.