80+ certification for folding

This though came up when I was taking a shower (best place to think right?) and I have no idea why but I was thinking that since Bronze, silver, gold and platinum help with efficiency when using a computer this would mean that going for a gold or platinum when folding will make a big difference than a bronze certified power supply when folding. After a while wouldn't the gold or platinum be worth it? 

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

It just means you will be using less power to achieve a certain amount of wattage. Usually the amount you save in power doesn't justify the extra cost. It doesn't affect performance in any way.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

It just means you will be using less power to achieve a certain amount of wattage. Usually the amount you save in power doesn't justify the extra cost. It doesn't affect performance in any way.

yes I know that it won't affect performance in anyway but I was thinking (which I should have put in the OP) for a computer that is folding 24/7. Since folding does draw a lot of power the efficiency would be better since its going to be on 24/7.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

If you fold 24/7 then yes it would payoff to have a more efficient power supply

A high efficient power supply would pay itself in a few months of 24/7 folding

yes I know that it won't affect performance in anyway but I was thinking (which I should have put in the OP) for a computer that is folding 24/7. Since folding does draw a lot of power the efficiency would be better since its going to be on 24/7.

Well if you want actual numbers to see if you'll save anything, use some power consumption calculator and see over a year how much how much it would cost to run your 80+ bronze PSU at full load, then take off about 8% and see if that price difference is enough to buy a platinum PSU. (Bronze is about 82% efficiency, platinum is about 90%).

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

It's generally not much money saved.

You'd have to run several years at 100% load to even come close to the extra money spent on a gold/platinum psu over a bronze plus.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

And, you need to run at near peak draw to take advantage of the full efficiency. If you just have a standard system, one or even two decent GPU's, you might never get into the right threshold on say a 750 Watt Gold/Plat PSU, or even bronze for that matter.

I have Gold PSU's for both my bigger folders, as they both draw near the peak wattage. On the one 15A circuit, I am pulling almost 1,800 watts total. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

On the one 15A circuit, I am pulling almost 1,800 watts total. :)

I dont think you're giving the electric company enough love.  :P

I dont think you're giving the electric company enough love.  :P

They probably give whaler a Christmas bonus so he can spend it on more parts for folding.

Isn't the maximum efficiency at 50 or 60% (power draw) for those power supplies?

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Isn't the maximum efficiency at 50 or 60% (power draw) for those power supplies?

YiQtyz6.jpg

80 Plus test type 115V internal non-redundant 230V internal redundant Fraction of rated load 10% 20% 50% 100% 10% 20% 50% 100% 80 Plus   80% 80% 80%         80 Plus Bronze   82% 85% 82%   81% 85% 81% 80 Plus Silver   85% 88% 85%   85% 89% 85% 80 Plus Gold   87% 90% 87%   88% 92% 88% 80 Plus Platinum   90% 92% 89%   90% 94% 91% 80 Plus Titanium         90% 94% 96% 91%

lol no I meant that at about 60% of the total output of the PSU the efficiency is at its peek.

EDIT: so you would want a PSU that is about double your computers requirements in order to save the most.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

lol no I meant that at about 60% of the total output of the PSU the efficiency is at its peek.

EDIT: so you would want a PSU that is about double your computers requirements in order to save the most.

well this is all just hypothetical, since generally the more efficient the PSU is, the less energy is wasted into heat. It was just a though that came into my head when I was in the shower and also I *might* be planning on building a folding a rig.