Forget 4k, what is the best HDR?

Go to solution Solved by Deathstroke,

We basically have to wait and see what each company is claiming in terms of Dynamic Range, "HDR", whether its 7 stops, to 13 stop, to 22 stops. We don't know yet what they will release at.

And that's what really matters.

4K isn't going away, but it's still not mainstream or baseline yet. All the new tech is great, just have to make sure content is available, because like 4K, HDR is more difficult to process and render.

It seems every big TV will be 4k and - mostly - curved (I still don't quite understand the curved TV when more than one person is watching from two different points in the room but that's for another discussion. ;-)) So now the only differential appears to be the type of HDR in use?

LG, Panasonic and Samsung all seem to have different takes on this tech.  I'm guessing it's too early to tell but does anyone have any thoughts with HDR is better right now?

I'm not in line to buy a TV until (at the earliest) the middle of next year when I hope things would have settled.  But I'm interested how the market looks atm.

Kol

It seems every big TV will be 4k and - mostly - curved (I still don't quite understand the curved TV when more than one person is watching from two different points in the room but that's for another discussion. ;-)) So now the only differential appears to be the type of HDR in use?

LG, Panasonic and Samsung all seem to have different takes on this tech.  I'm guessing it's too early to tell but does anyone have any thoughts with HDR is better right now?

I'm not in line to buy a TV until (at the earliest) the middle of next year when I hope things would have settled.  But I'm interested how the market looks atm.

My advice to you is wait and see the TV's in person.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

go to the store and look at a 4K tv...

you will never be able to look at 1080p the same way again...

My advice to you is wait and see the TV's in person.

Seeing the TV's in person doesn't mean much when places like Bestbuy intentionally set settings to sell the specific model they want to sell. 

go to the store and look at a 4K tv...

you will never be able to look at 1080p the same way again...

I disagree. Unless I'm comparing TVs side by side even high end TVs from over five years ago still look quite good. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Seeing the TV's in person doesn't mean much when places like Bestbuy intentionally set settings to sell the specific model they want to sell. 

I disagree. Unless I'm comparing TVs side by side even high end TVs from over five years ago still look quite good.

well that's your opinion, but the tvs i saw were sooooooo beautiful :D

well that's your opinion, but the tvs i saw were sooooooo beautiful :D

Don't forget to keep in mind that the demos (even on your old TV) will look FAR better than any content that will ever be shown on that TV -- so if you were to rewatch the demos on your current TV you'd probably be amazed at how much 'nicer' it looks than what you've been watching. And secondly, the TVs in stores (and any in demo mode) will run under dynamic/super saturated settings that make colors pop and appears to make everything more vibrant and pretty -- however those settings will almost always be disabled at home because it makes the non demo content look incredibly fake. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Don't forget to keep in mind that the demos (even on your old TV) will look FAR better than any content that will ever be shown on that TV -- so if you were to rewatch the demos on your current TV you'd probably be amazed at how much 'nicer' it looks than what you've been watching. And secondly, the TVs in stores (and any in demo mode) will run under dynamic/super saturated settings that make colors pop and appears to make everything more vibrant and pretty -- however those settings will almost always be disabled at home because it makes the non demo content look incredibly fake.

4K downsampled footage to a 1080p screen looks really good too..

imagine 8K downsampled to 4K <3

I've been to the store pre-Xmas and saw 4k TVs and yes they look good in comparison to 1080 (at least in big displays) but I was asking about HDR. :-)

I'm afraid I wasn't too clued up on HDR before the store trip and can't remember if any of the TVs were using it but from post-store research it seems that HDR is actually the key technology now that will improve the picture?  If so, is there any indication which manufacturer has started with the best iteration?

1080 is dead to me, hehe. 4k seems like the baseline standard.  It's all about HDR now??

Kol

We basically have to wait and see what each company is claiming in terms of Dynamic Range, "HDR", whether its 7 stops, to 13 stop, to 22 stops. We don't know yet what they will release at.

4K isn't going away, but it's still not mainstream or baseline yet. All the new tech is great, just have to make sure content is available, because like 4K, HDR is more difficult to process and render.

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Sure.  Yes the amount of stops would be interesting to know, so will keep an eye out for that.  Ta.

EDIT: And when I said baseline I meant in terms of new TVs for the next 2 years and beyond.  It would be interesting to take out HDR and compare 1080 with 4k and varying sizes of TVs to see (for your own eyes) the difference.  *Then* compare these with HDR TVs.

Kol

LOL this is one of the most ignorant responses I've seen.  HDR in display technology is not about how many stops of light.  It's about color depth, contrast ratio and brightness levels.  99% of consumer TVs on the market are capable of only 8-bit color depth, while some models might offer virtual 10-bit (FRC).  What manufacturers like Samsung, Sony, etc. are talking about by using the buzzword "HDR" for display technology actually means improving the color representation/reproduction on the display.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Cameras capture stops of light, and televisions display that light to the best of their ability, could also be represented by stops. HDR could be their buzzword, but it's thrown around a lot in the TV and cinema industry now, from both ends.

TVs with a higher dynamic range, measured in whatever, like the brightness and black pixels, or lack of, we still don't know what exactly they will release with, for example some TVs now have a 5m:1 ratio of contrast, some have "infinite". I don't believe all the HDR manufactures have announced their actual range, other than infinite.

Like you said, colour is measure in depth. Dynamic range has never been about colour, but HDR will improve colour reproduction as their is technically a larger gamut due to additional light. 

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!