DL380 G6 Server

tommy-b-10

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone thinks it work getting a Prolient DL380 G6 server for VMs and storage? I can get one with 16gb ram and 8 15k SAS drives for under $200 AUD so I was thinking of upgrading my existing server which is in my signature.

I know I can't put my 3.5" drives in it but I can work something out for that.

Main thing I am concerned about is power and noise. If I remember correctly the g4's are really power hungry.

Cheers!

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

You could get a controller card with external ports and put together another system to hold your 3.5" drives if you wanted.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

You could get a controller card with external ports and put together another system to hold your 3.5" drives if you wanted.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm not super worried about storage, more so the power usage and noise

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone thinks it work getting a Prolient DL380 G6 server for VMs and storage? I can get one with 16gb ram and 8 15k SAS drives for under $200 AUD so I was thinking of upgrading my existing server which is in my signature.

I know I can't put my 3.5" drives in it but I can work something out for that.

Main thing I am concerned about is power and noise. If I remember correctly the g4's are really power hungry.

Cheers!

You can change the fan profiles in the server bios, can get them quiet ish. Really depends where you are going to put it. I built a custom semi sealed box for my IBM x3500 M4 and have the inlet and outlet facing the floor with air filters etc, can barely hear it standing next to it. Tower servers are quieter than low profile rack mount servers though.

The HP G6 series is new enough that the cpu's don't use too much power since they have good power saving features. The amount of disks you are going to load in to it will have a big impact. For 4 disks and 2 cpu's expect around 150W-180W, at a guess about double your current server build.

My server sits at around 160W-180W but has a single 95W cpu, the G6 typical is 80W cpus, 4 10K SAS, 6 SATA SSD, 3 SATA 3.5", 2 RAID cards and dual 900W PSU since I am planning on putting GPU's in it at some later date so efficiency is down a bit.

I have a DL380 G5 with dual quad core processors and can tell you that it idles at 180W and is pretty loud at idle. At full load it pulls 400W and is almost at shout-over-it loudness. The G6 should be a substantial improvement, as the G5 processors basically only have two power states, and after that Intel introduced a lot more flexibility for idle. Still, I hope my input can serve as your worst case scenario.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: