Does soundproofing actually work?

Flashie

I've been doing a tonne of yelling since i started playing CSGo recently and have been annoying the others in the house trying to focus on other tasks. As a result im considering investing in acoustic panels/soundproofing, but do they actually work for what im planning on using it for?

You could try and soundproof the door. A lot of sound can get through it I've found. I don't know how though.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

I've been doing a tonne of yelling since i started playing CSGo recently and have been annoying the others in the house trying to focus on other tasks. As a result im considering investing in acoustic panels/soundproofing, but do they actually work for what im planning on using it for?

Maybe get some fries for that salt? 

Anyway, stuff a towel under the door and buy some cheap sound dampining foam for the door

RyanTheCanadian

Network Administration / Systems Management and Security / White Hat

My computer is the definition of scrapyard wars.

Those little panels you see youtubers using in their rooms are mainly useful for cancelling out echo for recording, not actually reducing the volume in the rest of the house.

Proper soundproofing is very expensive (ie. soundproof drywall, or wall panels) and impractical, especially if you rent your place...

The lesson here is stop yelling so much, talk instead...

When in doubt, re-format.

not really no, that would just stop echo´s

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Maybe get some fries for that salt? 

Anyway, stuff a towel under the door and buy some cheap sound dampining foam for the door

Im n00b

If you do it right, yes. But there's a difference between sound absorbtion and sound proofing.

To make a room soundproof, you need to line it with something heavy, something the sound waves have a hard time getting to move, like concrete, lead, or soundproof drywall. Absorbing it using deformable materials helps to reduce echo inside the room but for keeping the sound inside it's not really adequate.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.