Gigabyte GTX 980ti G1 fans ramping up and down. pls help

xypher

Hello! 

So my gpu arrived a couple of hours ago. Installed it. Everything seemed to work fine. Then I noticed that the fan speed went up and down for no apparent reason. Can somebody help me fix this? Also it was supposed to be completely silent at idle or during browsing n stuff. 

You could download a gpu overclocking program like msi afterburner and create a custom fan profile.

PC: EVGA SR2, 2x Xeon X5690 @ 4.5, 48gb GSkill Trident @ 1810, 2x Evga gtx 980 TI Classy, 6x 850 evo 250gb RAID 0, 2x WD 4tb, Corsair 900D, Custom Loop with Cpus And mobo, 3x Asus VN279q

OTher : EVGA x58 Classified3, Xeon x5679 @ 4.2, 12gb kingston HyperX fury, 2x Evga GTX 670, Adata sp550 120gb, 2x WD 2tb, Corsair Graphite Series 230T, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asus VG236H

Just to check, are you running a 144hz Display? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Use programs like msi afterburner, or evga precision x to monitor and change your fan speeds.

What I'm guessing is the fan curve is fairly steep, so small temperature changes will lead to large fan speed changes.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Just to check, are you running a 144hz Display? 

yes i am. Benq xl2430t

Does it affect something or?

yes i am. Benq xl2430t

Does it affect something or?

So I assume that you've set the refresh rate in windows to 144hz? 

Would you kindly check the clock speed of your 980 Ti when its idling at 144hz?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

So I assume that you've set the refresh rate in windows to 144hz? 

Would you kindly check the clock speed of your 980 Ti when its idling at 144hz?

sorry for being the ultimate newbie but.. where? also it seems that uninstalling oc guru and installing msi afterburner and setting it on auto fixed everything. its not a jet engine anymore. also  i dont see my core clocks anywhere on afterburner :((

sorry for being the ultimate newbie but.. where? also it seems that uninstalling oc guru and installing msi afterburner and setting it on auto fixed everything. its not a jet engine anymore. also  i dont see my core clocks anywhere on afterburner :((

Change the theme of the afterburner under user interface. I find the legacy theme easier to use and read data off. You'll find the core clock speed some where in the right window(after you've changed the theme). Best make sure you don't have that high idle clock speed issue. 

Just to add, do you have Nvidia Shadowplay on? That running can also cause clockspeed to be high when idling. 

Its off, but it seems to work just fine. Played a little bit of alien isolation and i think the fan ramped up only to like 30 % if im correct. either way i think its fixed.

now i have other problems. coil whine... not from the inside of the case... but from my headphones........ i think i need to buy a DAC.

now i have other problems. coil whine... not from the inside of the case... but from my headphones........ i think i need to buy a DAC.

Welcome to the club...

Used two Strix and two MSI Gaming 6G so far, all have coil whine... Feel free to answer this poll survey if you have the time. I would very much appreciate it!