windows 8 product key

Wishiwasdead

so my sisters HDD died yesterday (a pre-built Gateway with windows 8), and i have an extra HDD to put into her system... but it doesnt have an OS on it... 

do to Microsoft not including physical product keys on pre-built systems anymore, and now its some code in Windows its-self - how do you retrieve the original product key to redownload windows on a new HDD?

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

If you have the key and you know what it is try and enter it when reinstalling windows, if that doesn't work simply just call microsoft and tell them the key and they will grant it permission to let it work again. I had to actually call them today and it's surprisingly easy to get a key working again with them.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I've been on the phone all day with Microsoft for a different issue, I was told that they don't keep a record of the Product Keys at all in connection to Microsoft accounts. So don't expect to be able to call them and have them give you the key, they wont.

As for physically getting the key off the HDD, if its dead I would assume there is no way to get the key, I am not an expert at all, so maybe somebody here will have some better knowledge then I do, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. I think the key is lost and you'll have to by a new one.

Good Luck

no sorry i dont have the key thats the problem... and i cant boot to windows on that drive to get it either

no sorry i dont have the key thats the problem... and i cant boot to windows on that drive to get it either

Yea, sorry.... Im 95% sure that you are shit out of luck

I've been on the phone all day with Microsoft for a different issue, I was told that they don't keep a record of the Product Keys at all in connection to Microsoft accounts. So don't expect to be able to call them and have them give you the key, they wont.

As for physically getting the key off the HDD, if its dead I would assume there is no way to get the key, I am not an expert at all, so maybe somebody here will have some better knowledge then I do, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. I think the key is lost and you'll have to by a new one.

Good Luck

thats fucking bull shit... i cant believe they stopped putting physical keys on the PC itself... 

Maybe just try buying a windows 7 or windows 8.1 key off Microsoft Swap for $20?

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

well, maybe its time to start looking into linux... 

right now im just going through a stack of old HDDs looking for one that works and has Win 7 or newer..

right now im just going through a stack of old HDDs looking for one that works and has Win 7 or newer..

wish i had a test bench lol

if your drive died and you dont have the windows key outside of it, then youre screwed

you cant retrieve a key from a dead drive

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i would honestly settle for vista... all i know is that im not buying a second OS for the same PC

It's embedded in the bios/uefi

thats fucking bull shit... i cant believe they stopped putting physical keys on the PC itself...

Microsoft is doing this because of people going to computer stores and take a picture of the product key(windows 7) and enter it into their pc

Microsoft is doing this because of people going to computer stores and take a picture of the product key(windows 7) and enter it into their pc

no i get that, i do... its really dumb to have the product key on the out side of a case... dosent mean they should scrape a physical product key all together... because this is a way bigger pain in the ass then it use to be...

and it seems like they are doing this just to drive up sales too... i mean like having to buy two OSs for one system.... before if your HDD failed you could just pop in a new HDD plug in your P Key and you're good to go - i contacted them twice and told me just to buy another licence.... NO I'M NOT BUYING A SECOND OS FOR ONE PC!!!

no i get that, i do... its really dumb to have the product key on the out side of a case... dosent mean they should scrape a physical product key all together... because this is a way bigger pain in the ass then it use to be...

and it seems like they are doing this just to drive up sales too... i mean like having to buy two OSs for one system.... before if your HDD failed you could just pop in a new HDD plug in your P Key and you're good to go - i contacted them twice and told me just to buy another licence.... NO I'M NOT BUYING A SECOND OS FOR ONE PC!!!

My suggestion is that to get an windows 8 oem usb pendrive and try booting from it. It should enter in automatically as long it's the right version. Also your license only invalid if you use it with another pc, probably if it ask for product key then skip it and then call them saying that your hdd died.