HALP! Windows 7 Tries to install 220 updates every shutdown. Then Fails to install.

craydawg

Like the title says. HAKLP!!1!

I did a fresh install of Win 7 a while back and I forgot to change my auto update settings so of course Windows downloaded every update under the sun. Now it's nagging me to update constantly and When I try to run them the updates always fail. 

I've had some success just unchecking all of the updates except for 1 or 2 updates and letting those install. I'd perfer not to do all of the updates this way though.

The other issue with this is on shutdown Windows will run the updater and start doing its thing then updates fail and it shutsdown after about an hour of doing the updating.

Then on startup it will take almost an hour in reverting changes from updates because the updater failed. Rarely some updates will stick.

Is there a way to fix this?

Icarus I -Past

Icarus II Present

HAL 6000 - Future

this reminds me on a pc i had to deal with by a friend. Does win7 wants to install the service pack 1 on this pc?

If yes, uncheck all other updates and try the service pack only.

If it fails, try the fix it tool from microsoft (just google for it service pack 1 installation issue, somewhere out there is a microsoft fix for that)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Try going to settings and check for system updates. I recall having a similar problem and that fixing it for me.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

If you are able to tell which update specifically is failing, uncheck that one. Also, as someone above said, if SP1 is in that list, install that first by itself.

Also also, disable any optional updates, along with and .net stuff.

When in doubt, re-format.

Also, though I don't know for sure, perhaps a system restore point can make Windows forget about installing the new updates.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I'll give these a whirl. SP1 has already been taken care of so that's out. I'll look into the other solutions, and let y'all know what I find.  Thanks all. 

Icarus I -Past

Icarus II Present

HAL 6000 - Future