Windows not removed from hard drive

Pugsicle

I have an old computer that I do not use anymore and would like to use it as a file server. Though my problem is when I tried to wipe windows off of the hard drive I deleted everything off of it (or so I thought) and tried to reboot and load up another operating system. Though when it booted up it said windows was corrupted and it gave me options to repair it and such. I tried to go into that menu to repair it so I could reload windows and then attempt to wipe it again but I could not get into it. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

If you tried to wipe it within the OS, you cannot do it. You may have deleted files the OS needs in order to run. Do you have an OS you're trying to install? If so, you'll need to change your boot order.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you tried to wipe it within the OS, you cannot do it. You may have deleted files the OS needs in order to run. Do you have an OS you're trying to install? If so, you'll need to change your boot order.

I technically didn't wipe it within the OS. What I did was hook up the hard drive to my current computer and format it. I realize that probably wasn't the correct way but for some reason that is what I decided at the time. I also can not get into the BIOS because I have no clue what the button is and it doesn't pop up fast enough for me to see it and hitting the most common buttons doesn't seem to work.

I technically didn't wipe it within the OS. What I did was hook up the hard drive to my current computer and format it. I realize that probably wasn't the correct way but for some reason that is what I decided at the time. I also can not get into the BIOS because I have no clue what the button is and it doesn't pop up fast enough for me to see it and hitting the most common buttons doesn't seem to work.to open

to open up bios its usually the delete button or F12 or something of the sort.. i mean the best way to find out is by mashing each F key each time you boot (obviously you would have to re boot every time you were un successful which is rather time consuming) or refer your MOBO manual

I technically didn't wipe it within the OS. What I did was hook up the hard drive to my current computer and format it. I realize that probably wasn't the correct way but for some reason that is what I decided at the time. I also can not get into the BIOS because I have no clue what the button is and it doesn't pop up fast enough for me to see it and hitting the most common buttons doesn't seem to work.

What motherboard are you currently using?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

to open up bios its usually the delete button or F12 or something of the sort.. i mean the best way to find out is by mashing each F key each time you boot (obviously you would have to re boot every time you were un successful which is rather time consuming) or refer your MOBO manual

Well the computer is a prebuilt that I bought before I knew how easy it was to build a computer. So hopefully I can find the manual online somewhere.

What motherboard are you currently using?

Biostar A960D+ is the motherboard in that computer.

Correct me if im wrong but cant some mobos have boot order menu key bound differently to the bios menu key binding or can you still access boot order through bios? Atleast this is what ive found though out the laptops and pre builts ive had my hands on?

Correct me if im wrong but cant some mobos have boot order menu key bound differently to the bios menu key binding or can you still access boot order through bios? Atleast this is what ive found though out the laptops and pre builts ive had my hands on?

I am pretty sure this one the boot order button is different but like I said, the screen doesn't pop up fast enough unless it's on HDMI and the only way that computer could have HDMI is with a video card and honestly I don't feel like taking out my GPU and putting it in there. I don't think it will even fit anyways.

I am pretty sure this one the boot order button is different but like I said, the screen doesn't pop up fast enough unless it's on HDMI and the only way that computer could have HDMI is with a video card and honestly I don't feel like taking out my GPU and putting it in there. I don't think it will even fit anyways.

Could you maybe make it the main drive in another pc with the mentioned GPU to allow you to use HDMI?

Could you maybe make it the main drive in another pc with the mentioned GPU to allow you to use HDMI?

I could but I thought windows doesn't cope very well with switching motherboards around?

I could but I thought windows doesn't cope very well with switching motherboards around?

You would have to check with that as i have no idea but i mean its always worth a try?

Biostar A960D+ is the motherboard in that computer.

Try spamming the delete key after turning the computer on.

Try spamming the delete key after turning the computer on.

I am pretty sure I tried that at some point but I will try again.

Would boot and nuke be the proper way to wipe the drive?