R9 390 and 390X coolers

So I've been looking at graphics cards a lot lately for friends who are building PCs. One thing I've noticed is that... the sexy reference cooler AMD designed for the R9 3xx re-badges is NOWHERE to be found. sure there are the one off ones made by AMD themselves, but why are reference cards by companies like XFX still using the old design?

(Pictures related)

amd_radeon_r9_390_official.jpg14-150-759-03.jpg

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

Because blower style coolers suck? Literally?

Oh yeah, I don't disagree at all, but they're still usually out there. I've seen tons of 290& 290xs using blower style, and am surprised to see that isn't the case on 300's anymore.

Ik the stock 300 series coolers look bad a but I believe they are only renders. The only ones with the stock cooler are the nano and the fury x.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree at all, but they're still usually out there. I've seen tons of 290& 290xs using blower style, and am surprised to see that isn't the case on 300's anymore.

No reason for them, pure and simple.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Show me a reference cooler for the 390 that can keep it at 64°C at full load at 1440p and 54°C at full load at 1080p, and I'll buy one.

Ik the stock 300 series coolers look bad a but I believe they are only renders. The only ones with the stock cooler are the nano and the fury x.

I thought the same, but they are out there! They're only available in these stupid bundle deals direct from AMD though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105039&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+PC-_-N82E16814105039&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzai0BRCs2Yydo8yptuIBEiQAN3_lFjZtSQkaTWfAA6YOF3pFWyl8Vtb1jv4mHHs6I-hu1mEaAhKM8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

No reason for them, pure and simple.

Reference PCB design for watercooling though. I have a ref 980Ti under water and it is hard to find blocks for non-ref cards.

Show me a reference cooler for the 390 that can keep it at 64°C at full load at 1440p and 54°C at full load at 1080p, and I'll buy one.

like I said, the cooler itself sucks, but it looks damn sexy if you're waiting to do a custom water loop like I did.

Reference PCB design for watercooling though. I have a ref 980Ti under water and it is hard to find blocks for non-ref cards.

Then you should research who

Makes the PCB, might surprise you

If anyone asks you never saw me.

-snip-

Because bitcoin mining on GPUs has passed... Also your SIG should just say ¢ustom £oops ar€ $$$$$$$$$$$$

Jk love the SIG...

like I said, the cooler itself sucks, but it looks damn sexy if you're waiting to do a custom water loop like I did.

I do like the way the sapphire 390 NITRO looks in my case. Though I can see the appeal of the reference style cards.

I bought a Fury X to replace my 390, I get it from FedEx tomorrow. That's about as much water cooling as I do lol

Once you stick a water block on it... Don't need to pay for metal and fans that aren't being used...

They were fairly difficult to find. Then companies started to make more and more non-ref blocks. For reference pcb's on the 300 series you will have to get xfx. I do believe they are still using a reference pcb in both their blower style cards and their dd cards. Or the amd bundle, which if the powersupply is from a good company it isn't a bad deal. 

I do like the way the sapphire 390 NITRO looks in my case. Though I can see the appeal of the reference style cards.

I bought a Fury X to replace my 390, I get it from FedEx tomorrow. That's about as much water cooling as I do lol

Those NITRO Cards look sexy. I still recommend them when I get the chance. hope the fury X serves you well!

Once you stick a water block on it... Don't need to pay for metal and fans that aren't being used...

That's true, but Nvidia's ref design is way overkill then. 

They were fairly difficult to find. Then companies started to make more and more non-ref blocks. For reference pcb's on the 300 series you will have to get xfx. I do believe they are still using a reference pcb in both their blower style cards and their dd cards. Or the amd bundle, which if the powersupply is from a good company it isn't a bad deal. 

my only experience looking for a non-ref block has been on a PNY GTX 780, there was one made by EK for like a month. now it's gone and nobody seems to have one.

That's because even if you were going to watercool them, they still need to release a product that works as advertised. Hawaii/Grenada cannot be cooled by those measly things. GCN 1.2 cards (Tonga/Antigua/Fiji) should have had them though. Not really sure why they don't exist.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The reference coolers of my Titan X cards are amazing... in the glass cabinet, watching my cards being cooled by EKWB fullcover blocks :P.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The R-300 series reference coolers are only found on OEM GPUs.

OEM as in only found in systems from companies like DELL, Alienware, HP, etc.

Here is a R9-370 a guy was selling on my local classifieds (I tried to get a hold of it, but someone beat me to it).

BTW, the R9-370 (OEM only) is simply a factory overclocked R7-370 (consumers can buy...on like NewEgg)

http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/3629-r-300-series-oem-amd-reference-cooler/

This particular R9-370 was pulled from a brand-new DELL XPS 8900 system.

gallery_39754_3629_26179.jpg

gallery_39754_3629_40195.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>