Transfering from a HDD to a SSD

CrazyCaluz

basically I want to upgrade my PC by slapping in an SSD, however what steps must I take for the SSD to be my boot drive along with keeping essential programs and games and my HDD to keep the rest. Ive currently got a WD Blue 1TB and I'm adding a Samsung 850 evo 500GB.

unplug the HDD

plug in the SSD and clean install windows

install all your programs and stuff

then plug the HDD back in and move the files you want on your SSD over

if possible, move all your files over, format the HDD, then move your files back to the HDD

otherwise you will have to delete all the windows folders and crap thats taking up HDD space

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

okay how do you get the clean install of windows? (bit of a noob when it comes to this)

okay how do you get the clean install of windows? (bit of a noob when it comes to this)

I'm assuming you do not have a windows disk, so first, grab the Window's license on your computer, you can use a tool such as PC Audit to find this.  Right it down and keep it somewhere safe.  Next, acquire a flashdrive, 16 GB should be fine, maybe less would work.  You are going to search for the Windows ISO corresponding to the version of Windows you currently have on your computer, and download that ISO onto your flashdrive(Microsoft's website should have this.  The tool should also format the flashdrive to be read correctly. Turn off the computer, Plug in the flashdrive and unplug the current hard drive.  Turn on your computer and it should boot to the USB, which will guide you through installation of Windows.  Input the license that you obtained earlier.  Then follow the steps that Enderman has laid out. 

basically I want to upgrade my PC by slapping in an SSD, however what steps must I take for the SSD to be my boot drive along with keeping essential programs and games and my HDD to keep the rest. Ive currently got a WD Blue 1TB and I'm adding a Samsung 850 evo 500GB.

Okay, you CAN do what @Enderman suggested, but if you really want to be able to keep everything and continue to be able to use Windows without interruption or having to reinstall all your essential programs, you're better off just cloning the disk.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Okay, you CAN do what @Enderman suggested, but if you really want to be able to keep everything and continue to be able to use Windows without interruption or having to reinstall all your essential programs, you're better off just cloning the disk.

cloning is not a good idea especially if its from a HDD to an SSD

a lot of mistakes happen during clones and incorrect bits can completely mess up an operating system

a lot of the time its unnoticeable, but then after a few months or years a bunch of stuff starts to go wrong in windows such as system hangs, update failures, problems installing/uninstalling programs, and corrupted data/BSODs

I have seen plenty of people have all these issues and come for help, and every time it is because they cloned windows "because its easier"

BS excuse to not do things the proper way

in the end you have to reinstall windows anyway to fix all the crap because you were too lazy to do it properly the first time

then how much time have you saved? 0

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

cloning is not a good idea especially if its from a HDD to an SSD

a lot of mistakes happen during clones and incorrect bits can completely mess up an operating system

a lot of the time its unnoticeable, but then after a few months or years a bunch of stuff starts to go wrong in windows such as system hangs, update failures, problems installing/uninstalling programs, and corrupted data/BSODs

I have seen plenty of people have all these issues and come for help, and every time it is because they cloned windows "because its easier"

BS excuse to not do things the proper way

in the end you have to reinstall windows anyway to fix all the crap because you were too lazy to do it properly the first time

then how much time have you saved? 0

Not sure about that. Your argument would hold sway if the instability issues occurred in 100% of cases, but they really don't, so you might as well just clone the thing in the expectation of having to do a new Windows install, and then if it doesn't work out you've lost nothing, but if it does work out you've saved yourself countless hours of work and general frustration...

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --