UNDERclocking a gpu?

Darkr

Hi, I just got a lot of artifacts ingame that caused me to hard-reset my pc. After I reset it, the artefacts were there between post and windows 10 loading screen...

I reset it again, unplugged my dvi monitor (I got a 1080p dvi one and a 1440p minidp one) and the artifacts vanish.

I'm running a 290x, and this isn't the first time I've had these sort of problems.

I was wondering, would underclocking my gpu make a difference, or am I screwed?

If so, then how would I do it? For now, I lowered the power limit to -2%, my core clock to 975 (from 1000) and my memory clock to 1239 (from 1250).

Is this safe?

You shouldn't have to.

RMA it if it keeps artifacting

I had the same shit, it came back a LOT.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You shouldn't have to.

RMA it if it keeps artifacting

I had the same shit, it came back a LOT.

Can't rma it :( Didn't come with a warranty

Can't rma it :( Didn't come with a warranty

What brand? MSI and Gigabyte will give you a warranty.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

What brand? MSI and Gigabyte will give you a warranty.

Reference

Reference

What brand

what logo is on the fan

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Your V-ram is more than likely bad so undedrclocking/stock/overclocking won't help. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

What brand

what logo is on the fan

amd

amd

Then contact AMD

Your V-ram is more than likely bad so undedrclocking/stock/overclocking won't help. 

Well it only happens once per few months

Then contact AMD

I didn't buy it off them-I bought it off ebay.

I know right. I'm an idiot.

Its fine contact AMD

I have RMAd used stuff

you still should RMA it, you don't want an unstable GPU,

If you bought a GPU and you notice defects with it you can RMA it because its technically damaged, aka not the product you paid for.

It'll likely just get worse over time. You're better off RMAing it sooner rather than later.

That may not matter. Depends if they force you to show them the original retail receipt. The ebay receipt may be good enough as well. depends if you bought it off an actual retail partner's ebay or not.

Still just try to RMA it.

You can RMA used things.

You are not an idiot for making that assumption. Your still able to RMA it, and get a new card, because I assume it has no physical modifications or physical damage, and it's a GPU/VRAM issue. You can still RMA it. Besides, you would be an idiot for buying a 3dfx card and expecting help from them.

I have never RMA/returned an item from AMD, so maybe they might ask for receipt/PoF (Proof of Purchase) so the ebay receipt might be vaild, or not. I've not known if they would even ask for it. All you can do is cross your fingers and try.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

You may have a problem with heat then, what are the temps when under load? Can you get some more air to the gpu?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

You may have a problem with heat then, what are the temps when under load? Can you get some more air to the gpu?

It has as much air as it needs. I keep my rig on my desk, not buried under it. It ussaly runs at 80-85 degrees c.

Still just try to RMA it.

You can RMA used things.

You are not an idiot for making that assumption. Your still able to RMA it, and get a new card, because I assume it has no physical modifications or physical damage, and it's a GPU/VRAM issue. You can still RMA it. Besides, you would be an idiot for buying a 3dfx card and expecting help from them.

I have never RMA/returned an item from AMD, so maybe they might ask for receipt/PoF (Proof of Purchase) so the ebay receipt might be vaild, or not. I've not known if they would even ask for it. All you can do is cross your fingers and try.

Thanks. I bought it off a guy called gadgetgeek. here's his page: http://www.ebay.ie/usr/gadgetgeek09

I've had it for about a year now, and am getting worried about the problem.

Should I message amd on the warranty section?

It has as much air as it needs. I keep my rig on my desk, not buried under it. It ussaly runs at 80-85 degrees c.

Thats pretty hot isnt it? I never get abover 55C on my gpu, or anywhere in my PC for that matter

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

So what was your temp when it artifacts? So your options are accept it artifacting , trouble shoot it ,try to  rma it, or buy a new gpu and use it as a drink coaster. 

Thats pretty hot isnt it? I never get abover 55C on my gpu, or anywhere in my PC for that matter

Well it's a 290x - that means it's designed to run at 90 degrees

So what was your temp when it artifacts? So your options are accept it artifacting , trouble shoot it ,try to  rma it, or buy a new gpu and use it as a drink coaster. 

my temp would be roughly 50-60c.

I was just playing diablo, not a demanding game at all.

Update: It began artifacting again while I was playing diablo 3... Same type of artifact, same shapes, same colours.

It said that the AMD Display driver had stopped responding, and that it successfully recovered.

I contacted amd, and haven't heard from them yet.