Air Cooling Questions/Worries

Conorator999999

Hey Guys, quick question.

What is an average air cooled cpu temperature using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo using the stock fan pushing air through the heatsinc(I know I didn't spell that right), because when my AMD Athlon Quad Core cpu is under 4-12% load, the temps bounce between 57 and 65 degrees Celcius.

Help please.

Thanks!

A search online shows that most people are running pretty hot on idle, it must be the cooler. How's the airflow through your case? Do you have other fans bringing in cold air and exhausting the hot air? Is you CPU cooler cleaned of dust? You may want to check your thermal paste as well.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k  Motherboard: MSI Z97S Sli Krait Edition  RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury (black)  GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX970  
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5  Storage: 1TB WD 120GB Samsung OSD  PSU: Corsair RM750  Monitor: Acer 23"  
KeyboardCM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Blue  OS: Windows 10     Working on hardline watercooling!  :D

Hey Guys, quick question.

What is an average air cooled cpu temperature using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo using the stock fan pushing air through the heatsinc(I know I didn't spell that right), because when my AMD Athlon Quad Core cpu is under 4-12% load, the temps bounce between 57 and 65 degrees Celcius.

Help please.

Thanks!

How hot is it under load? If it's not that hot or it's not getting to the TJ max then it should be fine 

Your temps are pretty high so you might want to apply some new thermal paste. I would recomment getting the arctic silver 5 on amazon.com

A search online shows that most people are running pretty hot on idle, it must be the cooler. How's the airflow through your case? Do you have other fans bringing in cold air and exhausting the hot air? Is you CPU cooler cleaned of dust? You may want to check your thermal paste as well.

Yes I have another fan from the top of my case blowing directly onto the cooler. I just replaced the thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5 compound. I just redid the compound and cleaned the dust off of the cooler just before the temps that are initaly listed were taken and they seemed to have risen. So I don't know...

Your temps are pretty high so you might want to apply some new thermal paste. I would recomment getting the arctic silver 5 on amazon.com

That is the compound that I'm using

I would suggest a beefier cooler, maybe this for air Here or a watercooled which I have and love here

CPU: Intel i7 4790k  Motherboard: MSI Z97S Sli Krait Edition  RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury (black)  GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX970  
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5  Storage: 1TB WD 120GB Samsung OSD  PSU: Corsair RM750  Monitor: Acer 23"  
KeyboardCM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Blue  OS: Windows 10     Working on hardline watercooling!  :D

How hot is it under load? If it's not that hot or it's not getting to the TJ max then it should be fine 

In game, under halfish load it sits around 85 degrees Celcius, with peaks around 90ish degrees Celcius.

Mind you all that all of these readings are on stock cpu frequencies, no overclocks.

I would suggest a beefier cooler, maybe this for air Here or a watercooled which I have and love here

A beefier cooler is far from necessary. It seems like the cooler is not seated properly.

I'd suggest making sure the screws are evenly tightened. Screw them in diagonally and gradually to ensure even pressure on the cpu.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A beefier cooler is far from necessary. It seems like the cooler is not seated properly.

I'd suggest making sure the screws are evenly tightened. Screw them in diagonally and gradually to ensure even pressure on the cpu.

i reseated the cooler. The system is runing 87 degrees sustained and keeps pinning itself at 100% while watching a video on youtube.

i reseated the cooler. The system is runing 87 degrees sustained and keeps pinning itself at 100% while watching a video on youtube.

Did you make sure to screw the cooler down evenly?

Are your drivers updated?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the screws are tightened evenly. I screwed them in a cross pattern. All of my drivers are up to date

What is the Clock speed of your CPU, and if you have the application CPUz (if you don't, go and get it. It has quite some useful information) What is your displayed TDP in the top right of the CPU section?

I presume there must be something wrong with the cooler, as unless you have a REALLY high TDP, you shouldn't be sitting at those temps. I used to have a similar CPU, which was the AMD FX 4130, which was a Quad Core sitting at 3.8GHz, which I overclocked to 4.2GHz and that thing didn't get very hot at all with it's stock cooler, so you shouldn't be having issues.

I am a Tech Enthusiast; Gamer, Computing student; Small YouTuber and a keyboard warrior :^)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 8Cores@4.7GHz (5GHzBoost) | RAM: 16GB (Mixed Kingston&Corsair) | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 4GB | Case: Bitfenix Merx Alpha | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB [BOOT]; 240GB OCZ SSD [Games] ;1TB SSHD | PSU: 800W something | Displays: AOC 24" 1080p 16:9; Yuraku 19" monitor | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Tournament Edition [Green Switches] | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Mouse Pad: Razer Vespula | Audio: Razer Tiamat 2.2+ Razer Hammerheads Pro | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

What is the Clock speed of your CPU, and if you have the application CPUz (if you don't, go and get it. It has quite some useful information) What is your displayed TDP in the top right of the CPU section?

I presume there must be something wrong with the cooler, as unless you have a REALLY high TDP, you shouldn't be sitting at those temps. I used to have a similar CPU, which was the AMD FX 4130, which was a Quad Core sitting at 3.8GHz, which I overclocked to 4.2GHz and that thing didn't get very hot at all with it's stock cooler, so you shouldn't be having issues.

As of right now I hsve not overclocked the CPU. Its stock speed is 3.7ghz and is sustained 90 degrees or above. no crashes yet