Upgrade to an SSD for Laptop

I have an MSI laptop(GP60 2QE Leopard) that I carry around with me to clients for which I create websites, and to college for study reasons* - I use it as an extension of my desktop, really. It holds an OS (obviously), programs that I use frequentlyfrequently played games (hearthstone, war thunder, etc - things I can have a quick match of or play on a daily basis) and of course all the website files that I plan to synchronize with some sort of cloud storage.

I've had it for a little while now, and the boot times are reasonable compared to my desktop with an SSD. Although, considering my desktop boots in about 20s, I want this to match that. So, I'm planning to a clean install of Windows 10 on this machine and fresh installing all the things I need on it. 

What's my best option? 250GB SSD or 500GB? I barely use the 1TB HDD, so I'm wondering how far I need to go and how much money I could save.

A 250GB 850 Evo is about £50. I'd be perfectly happy spending that.

A 500GB 850 Evo is about £110. It's double and more, but it may be about the minimum I'd ever need.

A 1TB 850 Evo is about £230, and it's far more than I need and way over what I'd ever be happy spending on a laptop upgrade.

*Not gonna lie, having to log in to a school network and google every time I want to do some work is a piss take. My laptop connects to the wifi and then thats that. And I have all my work and free reign over what I insall and do on this computer.

Thanks!

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

250 I think would be enough for your usecase. If you realy need more you could go 500 but 1tb is not at all needed

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

SSD booting in 20seconds? That sounds wrong considering my 5400RMP SSHD boots in 24 seconds....

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Get what capacity you think you are going to use.

Look at how much space on your laptop is used up and buy the size according to it.

SSD booting in 20seconds? That sounds wrong considering my 5400RMP SSHD boots in 24 seconds....

Pretty much an estimate. I've never sat and watched a computer boot up; had this habit of going making a drink whilst waiting, although I never really need to.

I miss the old days of, what? 2500RPM drives? /s

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Pretty much an estimate. I've never sat and watched a computer boot up; had this habit of going making a drink whilst waiting, although I never really need to.

I miss the old days of, what? 2500RPM drives? /s

Back when 10K RPM WD Blacks were actually good value :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

my laptop takes 20 seconds to boot, but 10-13 of that is the bios and windows 7 logo lol

4 seconds bios

15 seconds loading windows

3 seconds to log in

2 seconds for the desktop to show up

4 seconds bios

15 seconds loading windows

3 seconds to log in

2 seconds for the desktop to show up

Fixed That For Me...

hope you dont get any intruders then :P to make your computer into a zombie.

>19:00

"Oh shit, System 32 was deleted."

>Reinstalls Windows 10

>Uses Steam Restore for games.

>Copies backups of web files.

>20:00

k, intruder. You lose this one!

>19:00

"Oh shit, System 32 was deleted."

>Reinstalls Windows 10

>Uses Steam Restore for games.

>Copies backups of web files.

>20:00

k, intruder. You lose this one!

not what a zombie is :P They use your computers CPU, and sometimes GPU (though rarely) to do tasks such as DDOS and other malicous things that require a crap ton of computers, thats why if you notice your computer start to slow down or completely stop while your just browsing the web or w/e you could be part of an attack thats using your processes.

not what a zombie is :P They use your computers CPU, and sometimes GPU (though rarely) to do tasks such as DDOS and other malicous things that require a crap ton of computers, thats why if you notice your computer start to slow down or completely stop while your just browsing the web or w/e you could be part of an attack thats using your processes.

"Oh shit, System 32 was deleted"

"Oh shit, my processes are being hogged by some random malware that is a bitch to remove"

Same applies.

Good luck with your move to put the SSD in your laptop.

I have done that exact thing two times. In each case I put a 256GB drive in it. The OS only uses about 4GB (Ubuntu Linux), so that leaves a lot of room for other things. And it boots in about 14 seconds. actually the faster cpu one boots in 14 seconds. The slower cpu takes about 18 seconds.

If you have a clear idea of what you need to put on the drive, and it seems you do, then the 500GB drive seems to be the one. e.g. if you are currently using 300GB, then 500GB SSD makes sense. BUt if you are using 120GB, then a 256GB ssd makes sense.

I did these changes two years ago, using Samsung 830 ssds. No issues in that time.

My main pc, uses the Samsung 840 Pro (done two years ago). I can do a reboot (cycle down and back up) in about 25 seconds. Using Ubuntu Linux. Works great.

Best regards, AraiBob