2GB Crossfire / SLI

UltraShock

Hello everyone, I'm currently picking parts to make a PC, and I'm trying to find ways to save money. I'm planning on buying one GPU now and then another later and running Crossfire or SLI (GTX 960 and R9 380 are on mind). Since the 2GB models are cheaper than the 4GB ones, would it be acceptable to have 2GB of Vram on 2 cards like that? Would they get the full performamce potential possible? I hope this isn't too confusing, thanks to any helpers.

Hello everyone, I'm currently picking parts to make a PC, and I'm trying to find ways to save money. I'm planning on buying one GPU now and then another later and running Crossfire or SLI (GTX 960 and R9 380 are on mind). Since the 2GB models are cheaper than the 4GB ones, would it be acceptable to have 2GB of Vram on 2 cards like that? Would they get the full performamce potential possible? I hope this isn't too confusing, thanks to any hellers.

I do not think it would be wise, I have heard that two 4GB 960's can beat a 980, but IDK, also 2GB will not be enough for future titles. I would just get a 960 2GB or something now and sell it later to get a better GPU when you have more money

I do not think it would be wise, I have heard that two 4GB 960's can beat a 980, but IDK, also 2GB will not be enough for future titles. I would just get a 960 2GB or something now and sell it later to get a better GPU when you have more money

Newegg did a video about that and you are correct.

Edit: A off-Topic suggestion. If you can get a single better card if you can, less compatibility issues with some games. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

For future-proofing, go for the 4GB models. You'll easily get two or three years out of the setup and I guarantee, even if you were fine with a single 1080p monitor now, you're gonna want a 4K in a few years. Even a single 1440p can have it rough with 2GB only. 

Alright then, thanks for the insight. I might just get the 4GB 380 or 960 now as they aren't too much more expensive.

Alright then, thanks for the insight. I might just get the 4GB 380 or 960 now as they aren't too much more expensive.

And then you can double /those/ up down the road if you need to :)