Mechanical keyboard buyers advice

Go to solution Solved by olbaze,

Two anecdotes on mechanical vs membrane:

1. My older sister, after using my PC for a few hours during a visit, commented on how comfortable it is to write on my mechanical keyboard.
  2. I cleaned my mechanical keyboard the other day, forcing me to use my membrane keyboard for a number of hours. That was not nice.

Now that that's out of the way: Getting a mechanical keyboard makes most sense if you spend a lot of time typing on your keyboard. One of the biggest motivators for getting my keyboard two years ago was that I was typing a lot of essays at the time. Since I hadn't used a mechanical keyboard, I went for the cheapest one I could find, a SteelSeries 6Gv2.

To answer your questions:

• There's a whole bunch of different switches and they each do different things. Primarily, the switches are either linear or non-linear. This just means that either there is a tactile bump that you can feel while pressing down, notifying you that the key has been actuated prior to being fully pressed down, which is one of the features of mechanical switches. Beyond that, there's the "heaviness" of the switch, basically how much force is required to press the key down. I have seen some people say that their fingers get fatigued after writing on one of the heavier switches for an extended period of time. The most common switch types are: Non-linear Blue and Brown and linear Black and Red. Difference between Blue and Brown is Blue has an audible click when it actuates, whereas Brown just has the tactile bump. Black and Red switches do not have the tactile bump, with Black being the heavier of the two switches. Some people make an argument that Reds are the best for pure gaming as they are the lightest and linear, making it easier to spam a key, with Blues and Browns being the best for touch typing as you can increase your typing speed by not bottom out the keys.
  • The biggest thing to watch out when shopping for a mechanical keyboard would be the layout. Mechanical keyboards are very durable, so buying new keycaps is a big appeal of owning one. A lot of manufacturers (gaming peripheral companies mostly) have all kinds of custom layouts that make it impossible or very difficult for you to buy a new set of keycaps that cover all the keys on your board. This is especially true if you happen to use a non-US layout.

So I'm considering buying a new keyboard. For the moment I have this Roccat Isku FX wich is a 'normal keyboard'. Is a mechanical keyboard worth the upgrade and what are the advantages/disadvantages? What do I have to watch out for and are there any differences in the feeling of different switches? :blink:

AMD FX8350 Black OC 4.5ghz--NZXT Kraken X31--ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0--MSI R9 380 4G--Corsair RM750--Corsair 16GB Vengeance

Logitech G300--Roccat ISKU FX--Logitech Z623--HyperX Cloud II

I got a Ducky mechanical keyboard for $150 a while ago, and it was so loud and I hated it so much that I'm nervous to buy a new keyboard.

You gotta be real careful and do your research with mechanical keyboards in particular, because I didn't and it was a bad idea.

I switched from a normal Keyboard to the G910. Its so awesome. Never want go back to rubbish Keyboards. Cant explain the feeling, but yes, its absolutly worth it.

There are alot of different types, so look out for what you like before buy one.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I switched from a normal Keyboard to the G910. Its so awesome. Never want go back to rubbish Keyboards. Cant explain the feeling, but yes, its absolutly worth it.

There are alot of different types, so look out for what you like before buy one.

Ok, so better go to a shop and test some out.

AMD FX8350 Black OC 4.5ghz--NZXT Kraken X31--ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0--MSI R9 380 4G--Corsair RM750--Corsair 16GB Vengeance

What type of Cherry keys are in your G910? Does it even come with different types of cherry keys?

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

What type of Cherry keys are in your G910? Does it even come with different types of cherry keys?

None. They use the new Romer G. They are a bit like the brown cherry mx, but

they are more silent and need 45g preasure. The LED´s are inside the Buttons, so no light anywhere else. Only the Letters ect. are shining.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Romer-G (aka Omron, not cherry), perform very similarly to MX browns but function differently iirc. LTT has a couple of videos regarding it:

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Romer-G (aka Omron, not cherry), perform very similarly to MX browns but function differently iirc. LTT has a couple of videos regarding it:

Thanks for the links and the info. :) I have been looking into upgrading to mechanical too. Have been using the cooler master devistator storm bundle for a while now, but ever since i tried a mechanical keyboard at a store i was hooked. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

1. My older sister, after using my PC for a few hours during a visit, commented on how comfortable it is to write on my mechanical keyboard.
  2. I cleaned my mechanical keyboard the other day, forcing me to use my membrane keyboard for a number of hours. That was not nice.

Now that that's out of the way: Getting a mechanical keyboard makes most sense if you spend a lot of time typing on your keyboard. One of the biggest motivators for getting my keyboard two years ago was that I was typing a lot of essays at the time. Since I hadn't used a mechanical keyboard, I went for the cheapest one I could find, a SteelSeries 6Gv2.

• There's a whole bunch of different switches and they each do different things. Primarily, the switches are either linear or non-linear. This just means that either there is a tactile bump that you can feel while pressing down, notifying you that the key has been actuated prior to being fully pressed down, which is one of the features of mechanical switches. Beyond that, there's the "heaviness" of the switch, basically how much force is required to press the key down. I have seen some people say that their fingers get fatigued after writing on one of the heavier switches for an extended period of time. The most common switch types are: Non-linear Blue and Brown and linear Black and Red. Difference between Blue and Brown is Blue has an audible click when it actuates, whereas Brown just has the tactile bump. Black and Red switches do not have the tactile bump, with Black being the heavier of the two switches. Some people make an argument that Reds are the best for pure gaming as they are the lightest and linear, making it easier to spam a key, with Blues and Browns being the best for touch typing as you can increase your typing speed by not bottom out the keys.
  • The biggest thing to watch out when shopping for a mechanical keyboard would be the layout. Mechanical keyboards are very durable, so buying new keycaps is a big appeal of owning one. A lot of manufacturers (gaming peripheral companies mostly) have all kinds of custom layouts that make it impossible or very difficult for you to buy a new set of keycaps that cover all the keys on your board. This is especially true if you happen to use a non-US layout.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Thanks for this very informative comment! You hepled me out!