Sennheiser HD650 or Phillips Fidelio X2

BamalambaDingDong

First off, wishing everyone a happy new year!

Okay, I'm nothing of a audiophile, so my knowledge pales in comparison to many. I am currently torn between getting the Sennheiser HD650 or the Phillips Fidelio X2. Both have rave reviews, both look awesome and I am sure I will be more than satisfied with either, but I don't know which one I should choose. I have a DAC/amp to hopefully get the best of either.

I put it to those who know what they are talking about, which should I choose!?

There ain't no getting off this train, until the end of the line!

First off, wishing everyone a happy new year!

Okay, I'm nothing of a audiophile, so my knowledge pales in comparison to many. I am currently torn between getting the Sennheiser HD650 or the Phillips Fidelio X2. Both have rave reviews, both look awesome and I am sure I will be more than satisfied with either, but I don't know which one I should choose. I have a DAC/amp to hopefully get the best of either.

I put it to those who know what they are talking about, which should I choose!?

What kind of sound do you like? What music do you listen to?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Check out Zeo's review of each:

Phillips: 

HD 650:

He is well informed, and he helped me decide on my headphones (hd600).

You get a two year warranty with Sennheiser.  The extra 12 months vs. the Phillips model might matter to you.

What kind of sound do you like? What music do you listen to?

Mainly orchestral music, it's what I listen to most, however I enjoy hearing the full range of sound in the music I listen to... if that helps at all, I don't particularly like dubstep, rap or R&B

Mainly orchestral music, it's what I listen to most, however I enjoy hearing the full range of sound in the music I listen to... if that helps at all, I don't particularly like dubstep, rap or R&B

I'd say Sennheiser. Smooth but detailed, and the current versions are not "veiled" these days.

He is well informed, and he helped me decide on my headphones (hd600).

He certainly knows how to run his mouth.

Mainly orchestral music 

I'd say 650 then

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Thanks for all your help guys, I think I will be going with the 650s afterall ^^ much appreciated, happy new year again!

I'd say Sennheiser. Smooth but detailed, and the current versions are not "veiled" these days.

Off-topic, but whats with the term "veiled" on Sennheiser headphones? Do they put some kind of padding on top of the drivers or something, and the user has to take it out?

Off-topic, but whats with the term "veiled" on Sennheiser headphones? Do they put some kind of padding on top of the drivers or something, and the user has to take it out?

No. It's a description of the sound, basically a lack of treble.

Most who have heard the latest iteration of the HD650 agree that it doesn't suffer from this issue anymore. Although there are some modding techniques out there that supposedly make it even brighter.