will a duel molex to PCI-e adapter power a cpu connecter?

KezzaMcFezza
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

No.

If your power supply doesn't have the connectors, you're gonna have to wait until you can get one with the correct connectors.

PCI-e power connectors are differently pinned than cpu power connectors.

I'm ordering a motherboard, CPU, RAM and case for my new pc. but i cannot afford the power supply right now and i would like to get my pc up and running before then, and the motherboard CPU connector is an 8 pin and looks alot like an 8 pin PCI-e connector for a graphics card. But i am wondering if this will power the CPU or if i absolutely need the 12 volt rail to power the CPU?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006PHXLRG?keywords=molex%20to%208%20pin&qid=1451539066&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

EDIT: i have my old power supply but it has a 4 pin CPU connector and wont fit in the motherboard lol

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

there is no way you can power a CPU off of some molex...

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

No.

If your power supply doesn't have the connectors, you're gonna have to wait until you can get one with the correct connectors.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm ordering a motherboard, CPU, RAM and case for my new pc. but i cannot afford the power supply right now and i would like to get my pc up and running before then, and the motherboard CPU connector is an 8 pin and looks alot like an 8 pin PCI-e connector for a graphics card. But i am wondering if this will power the CPU or if i absolutely need the 12 volt rail to power the CPU?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006PHXLRG?keywords=molex%20to%208%20pin&qid=1451539066&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

EDIT: i have my old power supply but it has a 4 pin CPU connector and wont fit in the motherboard lol

It wont work

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

No.

Alright i assumed so, lol

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1. if your existing psu does not have the necessary 6+2 pin pciex power leads, its unlikely to provide enough clean juice.

2. if you must give it a try, double check your psu rails, see how much juice is fed to each individual molex rail. 75W for 6pin, 150W for 8.

tldr, dont do it. maybe do it if you have a low power gpu, but even then its not advisable.

You can also get a 4 pin to 8 pin CPU power adapter. Most of the time normal motherboards only have an 8 pin to supply extra power for overclocking.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.