OK guys I need help finding a very specific laptop...

SSJ11

Ok. I know absolutely NOTHING when it comes to laptops...(mainly a desktop guy)

And I need help finding a laptop that meets some specific criteria.

This laptop is going to be for someone going into college. So it NEEDS to have:

-Great battery life (For obvious college life reasons)

-Decent hardware (She wants to be able to run photoshop and be able to dual boot Hackintosh <talked her out of it)

-Durability (she says she tired of settling and having to get a new laptop every year)

-Upgradeability. 

-Portable (she wants light weight [might be able to get away with it being medium weight])

-No more than 1000 USD after tax (around 0.075) and shipping,

I'm trying to keep her from wasting money on a MacBook Air. (old one for 1000 USD O_o )

Can you guys recommend anything?

What do you mean with "Upgradeability"? Laptops aren't really all that good at being upgraded.

There are very few non-Mac laptops that are capable of running a Hackingtosh system, so your choices aren't really that many. I know some Lenoveos like the Z580 and the U310 supports it, but you need to replace the WiFi for it to work.

I don't know about the battery life of those laptops.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

But if you want osx you probably should get a macbook air IMHO

Hmmm maybe OSX then. She said it's be nice but I may be able to talk her out of it.

What do you mean with "Upgradeability"? Laptops aren't really all that good at being upgraded.

There are very few non-Mac laptops that are capable of running a Hackingtosh system, so your choices aren't really that many. I know some Lenoveos like the Z580 and the U310 supports it, but you need to replace the WiFi for it to work.

I don't know about the battery life of those laptops.

I mean it needs to have access to the HDD and enough RAM slots to do some minor upgrades. If it only has, say 4gbs of RAM, then she would want to be able to upgrade to 8.

Hmmm maybe OSX then. She said it's be nice but I may be able to talk her out of it.

I mean it needs to have access to the HDD and enough RAM slots to do some minor upgrades. If it only has, say 4gbs of RAM, then she would want to be able to upgrade to 8.

If you could talk her out of OSX that would broaden your choices a lot. I would still look into Lenovo and as @11k said a Sony Vaio Pro is also a very good choice. Maybe something from the Samsung 3 or 7 Series is also a viable option 

Talked her out of it. Hackintosh is no longer a necessity :D

Sony vaio pro

Sony Vaio Pro is over $1000 though...

Talked her out of it. Hackintosh is no longer a necessity :D

Just to make sure. If she is going to college for design (or something similar) and she needs the computer for that. Make sure what programs are going to be used at the college. It's not fun sitting with a PC when you need a Mac, and vise versa.

Sony Vaio Pro is over $1000 though...

Yeah but it's quite a bit cheaper than the macbook in sweden (vaio:8500 SEK mac book air:10000 SEK a dollar is 6,6 SEK

Yeah but it's quite a bit cheaper than the macbook in sweden (vaio:8500 SEK mac book air:10000 SEK a dollar is 6,6 SEK

She won't pay anything over $1000 though so sadly it's out of the question. :/ 

really love it though...I might get one for myself lol

She won't pay anything over $1000 though so sadly it's out of the question. :/ 

really love it though...I might get one for myself lol

it has carbon fiber so it worlds lightest ultrabook and it also makes it much more durable and it is soooo sexy IRL

it has carbon fiber so it worlds lightest ultrabook and it also makes it much more durable and it is soooo sexy IRL

You have it? or seen it? And do you think it's worth the money for it? Really interested in this now xD

You have it? or seen it? And do you think it's worth the money for it? Really interested in this now xD

Ive seen it in the store and it looks amazing and it's worth the money all the way (if you buy it do it from sonys you MIGHT get bonuses like bigger SSD and more battery life)

Ive seen it in the store and it looks amazing and it's worth the money all the way (if you buy it do it from sonys you MIGHT get bonuses like bigger SSD and more battery life)

Sweet man thanks for the info. Gotta love free upgrades :3

U430 Touch by lenovo may be a nice choice

hm, not bad...might be a good choice.

Still open to other ideas.