Weird CPU spikes after upgrading CPU

Raisin06
Go to solution Solved by Raisin06,

Clean install?

As much as I didn't want to, I ended up taking this step after exhaustively gathering and backing up all sorts of stuff.

Thanks chief.

Hey all,

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/prLD4D -- Current build

Running Win 10 Pro

Had G3258 installed as of this morning (overclocked)

Received new Core i5 4690k.

Booted system up, went into BIOS and turned off overclock on G3258.

Booted into Windows 10.

Shut down properly.

Installed new i5 4690k

Booted into BIOS to make sure OC is turned off (verified yes)

Boot into Win 10 and icons/desktop are flashing constantly.

Hit task manager and see Windows Error Reporting is pegged at 100%

Can't shut down properly. Booted into safe mode with no 100% CPU spike. 

Any thoughts?

I'm currently still in Safe Mode running an SFC /scannow and will be doing a disk check afterwards. I got into the event viewer and noticed a LOT of errors dealing with explorer.exe crashing

Clean install?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Hoping with a processor upgrade I shouldn't have to do that. Never had to before.

you shouldn't have to

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

also what do you mean by these cpu spikes?

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

also what do you mean by these cpu spikes?

While in windows the desktop was flickering and looked like explorer was crashing over and over. I was able to get Task Manager up and it showed the CPU utilization at 100%. The suspect was Windows Error Reporting. I was able to get it to reboot into safe mode eventually and the error logs are flooded with Event 1001 APPCRASH errors pointing at Explorer.exe

While in windows the desktop was flickering and looked like explorer was crashing over and over. I was able to get Task Manager up and it showed the CPU utilization at 100%. The suspect was Windows Error Reporting. I was able to get it to reboot into safe mode eventually and the error logs are flooded with Event 1001 APPCRASH errors pointing at Explorer.exe

A CPU change should never result in this. Have you tried going back out of safe mode? Did it do it again? Windows Explorer is a core part of Windows so you might have to clean install. Weird.

EDIT: You might also want to try to reset the BIOS to its default settings via a factory bios reset.

A CPU change should never result in this. Have you tried going back out of safe mode? Did it do it again? Windows Explorer is a core part of Windows so you might have to clean install. Weird.

Waiting on a CHKDSK to finish up, running a scan inside of safe mode suggested a repair so I'm waiting through that -_-

Looks to have resolved itself, whatever it was. I did notice some Nvidia related files in the errors as well as Explorer.exe

My 750ti isn't overclocked (aside from the factory OC) but I am using a smaller monitor (I'm not lugging my normal monitor into work as well) and I set the resolution lower in safe mode and booted back into normal. Looks okay now.

Hmm...

As much as I didn't want to, I ended up taking this step after exhaustively gathering and backing up all sorts of stuff.

Thanks chief.

:)

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+