True 5.1 headphones

thewipyk

Hello guys, I'm looking for a headphone that has true 5.1 surround in it, about the price of a Sennheiser Momentum ON-ear (160 USD @ my local retailer in EU). 
If you guys have experiense in both true and virtual 5.1, your oppinion is more than welcomed.

I think surround sound headphones are a gimmick.

They don't even exist physically. Where would you put the one sub?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Basically what it is, is multiple drivers in a headphone can. It's simulated surround sound. there's no way to position multiple speakers around your head in such a way that it would result in true surround sound.

Stereo is totally fine for having a wide sound stage.

Put on a decent set of headphones and listen to something called the Virtual Barber's Shop.

Your ears are stereo, but your brain knows exactly where a given sound comes from. Stereo speakers are all you need.

5.1 is a gimmick imo.

I think surround sound headphones are a gimmick.

They don't even exist physically. Where would you put the one sub?

not just that, where do you put the 5th speaker? or do you just cut it in half for the sake of being able to call it 5.1?

good speakers actually makes it surround in headphones, just like if you use 2 good speakers positioned well will make the sound appear to be coming from between them.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

not just that, where do you put the 5th speaker? or do you just cut it in half for the sake of being able to call it 5.1?

good speakers actually makes it surround in headphones, just like if you use 2 good speakers positioned well will make the sound appear to be coming from between them.

then it would be 2.5 x 2 + 1.

Yay, Marketing!

Than here is an other question: I got myself a Sennheiser Momentum On-ear, because I heard it's a wonderful headphone, which is true. But when I connect it to the frontal port of an Asus Maximus VIII hero MoBo, the both sh@t themselfs. The on-board sound system looks like it can't handle the headphone. (Front audio, everything is plugged correctly). When I plug in the headphone, and start the demo, I hear both the left and right sound at the same time, without being able to tell which direction it came from. When I start to game (Fallout 4) Every sound is shit, can't hear dialogues unless I'm sideways, and every sound, that should come from my character is a torsed unhearable chatter. So what do I do wrong?

You don't need it.

Hoooooly shit, I listened to it with actual headphones and I literally thought someone had come into my workplace.

5.1/7.1 surround headphones are dead.

@OP, get some nice open-backed headphones. The soundstage will be better than simulated bullshit.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

decent headphones have natural positional audio.. and sound way better than any gaming headphones

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

@OP, get some nice open-backed headphones. The soundstage will be better than simulated bullshit.

decent headphones have natural positional audio.. and sound way better than any gaming headphones

Than looks like this is my problem:

Than here is an other question: I got myself a Sennheiser Momentum On-ear, because I heard it's a wonderful headphone, which is true. But when I connect it to the frontal port of an Asus Maximus VIII hero MoBo, the both sh@t themselfs. The on-board sound system looks like it can't handle the headphone. (Front audio, everything is plugged correctly). When I plug in the headphone, and start the demo, I hear both the left and right sound at the same time, without being able to tell which direction it came from. When I start to game (Fallout 4) Every sound is shit, can't hear dialogues unless I'm sideways, and every sound, that should come from my character is a torsed unhearable chatter. So what do I do wrong?