Possible Graphics Card Upgrade

ThatOCguy

Hi guys!,

So Lord Gaben as always blessed us PC people with another Steam sale and I decided to get Assassins Creed Syndicate. It runs fine on my system and my graphics card has no problem with frame rates as I've overclocked it quite harshly. Problem is I never realized how much of a GPU memory hog this game is. At the moment I have a Sapphire R9 270x OC 2GB and I'm actually over the limit for the memory I have on the GPU (2077MB used of 2011MB (reported by the game)). Is it worth upgrading to another stage up say another 200 series or 300 series or should I just go for the 4GB model of my card and sell this one. Luckily I won't make a loss either as for some reason this card is worth more even pre-owned than it was when I purchased it, I must have got it on sale or black friday I just can't remember when I got it for the life of me.

Thanks to everyone who gives an opinion 

Just for one game, no.

Find what's hitting your memory and turn down the settings.

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

id get a 380 or 380x, because it will actually be able to use 4gb of vram.

Just for one game, no.

Find what's hitting your memory and turn down the settings.

i got a new gpu for one game... because starcraft 2 and dota 2 dont use that much of anything... but GTA V does... and I dont like my r7 250 and i7 4790k  combo seems marginally unbalanced...

I should have added I was thinking of upgrading as some games are starting to need a bit more memory than 2GB

Hi guys!,

So Lord Gaben as always blessed us PC people with another Steam sale and I decided to get Assassins Creed Syndicate. It runs fine on my system and my graphics card has no problem with frame rates as I've overclocked it quite harshly. Problem is I never realized how much of a GPU memory hog this game is. At the moment I have a Sapphire R9 270x OC 2GB and I'm actually over the limit for the memory I have on the GPU (2077MB used of 2011MB (reported by the game)). Is it worth upgrading to another stage up say another 200 series or 300 series or should I just go for the 4GB model of my card and sell this one. Luckily I won't make a loss either as for some reason this card is worth more even pre-owned than it was when I purchased it, I must have got it on sale or black friday I just can't remember when I got it for the life of me.

Thanks to everyone who gives an opinion 

Just lower some settings I wouldn't buy a new GPU until you feel unsatisfied with FPS performance

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

i got a new gpu for one game... because starcraft 2 and dota 2 dont use that much of anything... but GTA V does... and I dont like my r7 250 and i7 4790k  combo seems marginally unbalanced...

Yeah but we're talking about Vram not fps, which can be simply solved with lowering a few settings

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Just lower some settings I wouldn't buy a new GPU until you feel unsatisfied with FPS performance

I can't get much further than I am now it's at 1080 res but textures are at low, effects etc are low, AA and AO are set to off. Does anybody think it could be a case that the game just isn't reporting memory usage correctly?

I can't get much further than I am now it's at 1080 res but textures are at low, effects etc are low, AA and AO are set to off. Does anybody think it could be a case that the game just isn't reporting memory usage correctly?

If you were over the Vram limit your game would start to stutter, what does the Vram usage say in GPU-Z?

Setup

If you were over the Vram limit your game would start to stutter, what does the Vram usage say in GPU-Z?

I wish I could tell you but GPU-Z thinks I have no memory at all 

post-289506-0-91397500-1451415141.jpg

I've just noticed it also doesn't seem to think I've overclocked at all 

I've just noticed it also doesn't seem to think I've overclocked at all 

MSI Afterburner?

Setup